Moist, Sturdy Gluten Free Recipe For Carving?

Baking By ErinAshley18 Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 3:40pm by SandraSmiley

ErinAshley18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinAshley18 Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there - I need to prepare a gluten free cake for an event for 100 people, and I am going to be carving a large book shape and covering it with fondant. They want half chocolate, half vanilla, with some fruit/ganache layers. I always use the durable cake for 3d in chocolate and vanilla (recipe from this site...) when preparing basic chocolate/vanilla cakes. I have never done gluten free.  I have found a basic gluten free box mix from King Arthur, but I always get raves about how moist and tasty my normal recipe is, (and it holds up really well to carving and stacking), so I am a bit nervous about just going forward with a basic gluten free box mix for a large event. Before I begin experimenting on my own, does anyone have suggestions for gluten free recipes that you think are better than a King Arthur box mix, or suggestions  for ways you have added to/doctored gluten free mixes that really work? My main concerns are moistness and durability for carving/stacking.

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 2:23am
post #2 of 10

Bumping this up so those who bake gluten free will see it

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 10

bump

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 10

I only bake gluten-free and vegan and that is a big concern for me as well.  For a vanilla cake, I use a recipe on sarahbakesgfree.com and for chocolate I use this one, it's gluten-free and vegan: 

3 Cups gluten-free flour blend (I use the one on the sarahbakesgfree website), 2 cups sugar, 2 cups cold water, 2/3 cups vegetable oil, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 2t baking soda, 2t white vinegar, 1t salt, and 1 t vanilla extract.
Preheat to 350, combine all ingredients until well combined. bake in greased pan about 30 min.

I've mostly used the vanilla cake for carved cakes, but I've also used Bob's Red Mill GF boxed cake mix as well.   I found that Bob's would dry out too much though.  But truly, I've found that my homemade vanilla dries out as well too.  I'm careful not to chill it too much, or at all if I can help it, because chilling it seems to dry it out faster.  Now I try to make the cake as close to the serving as possible and cover in ganache and chill as little as possible.  

I'm interested, as well, to see what you will find! :)

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 10

P.S.  The chocolate cake is always my most moist cake.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 12:57am
post #6 of 10

When I bake gluten free, I use Bob’s red mill one to one flour. Then bake as per my fav chocolate cake  recipe. To make a denser, firmer and moist cake, I add about 1/4 cup of yogurt/sour cream to the recipe. You could try a trial run with a smallish 4” cake and see what you think of the texture/taste. And as for your vanilla cake, never store in the refrigerator. Tightens the gluten, and will dry your cake out. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 1:24am
post #7 of 10

bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 10

Bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 11:35am
post #9 of 10

Bump