3D Cupcake Topper Color

Decorating By busymom2kidz Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 5:50pm by busymom2kidz

busymom2kidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom2kidz Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 46

Help! I have a decorating dilemma. 3D Cupcake Topper Color I have to make 100 cupcakes for the Pricless Gown Project in my city & I would like to make 3D toppers of their logo. (I have attached a photo.) The problem comes when trying to color fondant to match the pink of the dress form in the logo. Does anyone have any ideas what colors I would mix to get the pink color shown? I would really appreciate any input you have. Thanks in advance!3D Cupcake Topper Color

45 replies
doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 46

Actually, Duff Goldman had a pink fondant that is almost exactly that shade of pink.  

busymom2kidz Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 12:49am
post #3 of 46

Thanks for the tip. I will see where I can get it. I've never used his fondant before...we'll see what happens.  

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 1:44am
post #4 of 46

I hate to say it but I think I was premature in suggesting Duff's fondant,  I went online to find some and was unable to bring his fondant up so I don''t know if he makes it anymore. But Wilton does have a pink fondant that you could add some pink coloring to it to deepen the shade.  Sorry I wasn't that helpful. 

busymom2kidz Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 1:48am
post #5 of 46

No worries! I was online looking for it a minute ago & couldn't fin it either. Maybe mixing in a deeper pink with the regular pink fondant will work. Thanks again.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 1:55am
post #6 of 46

Roxy and Rich makes a lot of hot pink petals dusts that would probably work too.

busymom2kidz Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 2:46am
post #7 of 46

I will find out where I can get them in my area. Thanks! 

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 46

busymom2kidz, I order Roxy & Rich petal and luster dusts from Global Sugar Arts and buy Wilton spray colors from Walmart.

https://www.globalsugarart.com/cake/roxy-rich-colorants.html

busymom2kidz Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 46

Everyone is talking about Roxy & Rich. I will look for it today when I go to the cake decorating supply store near me. I appreciate the help!

busymom2kidz Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 46

Everyone is talking about Roxy & Rich. I will look for it today when I go to the cake decorating supply store near me. I appreciate the help!

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 46

Roxy & Rich makes a line of brilliant, vibrant colors and has the advantage of being approved by the FDA as fully edible, even the metallics.  Most metallics are not approved by the FDA in the US.

busymom2kidz Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 46

The supply store didn't carry them, but I plan to order. I check out Global Cake Arts.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 46

I've made a million things this color, and just use Wilton Rose color. 

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 46

I use Wilton Rose gel color, as well.  I also have some Betty Crocker Neon Gel Colors, which I purchased from the grocery store or Walmart, that has a fabulous electric pink.

busymom2kidz Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 46

When Itried the rose, it just came out pink. Maybe I didn't use enough? Not sure...am thinking of mixing red, purple & pink. Still testing colors\, but have to figure something out tonight. 

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:07pm
post #16 of 46

Oh, it takes a ton of color to make red and this dark, fuchsia pink would be the same way.  3D Cupcake Topper Color

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 46

You could just make the dress white and paint it with the Wilton Rose gel color mixed with vodka.  Don't try using it straight because it will never dry.  It might take two or three coats to get a good coverage, but it would work.

busymom2kidz Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:14pm
post #18 of 46

Decisions, decisions. One more test and then I might paint.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:27pm
post #19 of 46

Another thought, if you use royal icing, it would be easy to outline the design and flood with royal icing.  It could even be a cookie.

busymom2kidz Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 12:16am
post #20 of 46

So...who would have thought it, but my mom, the non-cake decorator, mixed up the precise color by mixing Americolor Electric Pink & Electric Purple. She was just playing around and found it! I will post a pic once the toppers & cupcakes are finished. THANK YOU for the reposnses. I learned a few new things to try.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 1:34am
post #21 of 46

Did your hands turn pink? There are a couple of ways to get the color off Wash your hair:) Or rub your hands w/toothpaste & rince w/the hottest water you can stand

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 1:47am
post #22 of 46

kakeladi, where were you when I had bright red hands, lol?!!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 1:47am
post #23 of 46

Glad you found something that worked!  Horay for Mom!

busymom2kidz Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 10:17am
post #24 of 46

No colored hands this time. For once,  I remembered to wear food-safe gloves.  It took about 40 min to color 5 lbs of fondant/gumpaste mix. Today, I'll start making the 100 dressforms with a 3D mold. Everything is due Sunday afternoon, so the next few days will be busy. Thankfully, I have today & Friday off from work. 

Sorry for all the info that you didn't ask for. Now that you know my whole life story, I'll go get started. Thanks again everyone.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 9:56pm
post #25 of 46

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 11:55pm
post #26 of 46

Don't apologize, busymo2kidz!  We love hearing cake / decorating stores!  Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2020 , 12:43pm
post #27 of 46

Bump

kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2020 , 12:43pm
post #28 of 46

Bump

busymom2kidz Posted 12 Mar 2020 , 8:56pm
post #29 of 46

Sorry the pic is so large, but this is what the first one looks like. (Not perfect yet, but they'll get there...)

3D Cupcake Topper Color

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 12:35am
post #30 of 46

That topper will make the most adorable cupcakes ever!  Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%