Friday Night Cake Club For 03-06-20

Decorating By Laetia Updated 14 Mar 2020 , 12:54am by gscout73

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 2:40am
post #1 of 27

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Thanks for bumping all week long everyone!

Julie

26 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 3:20am
post #2 of 27

I have not baked anything this week :o(

Laetia Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 27

Me neighter, but I'll play with my Christmas gift during the weekend. Peonie cutter end some veiners. 

(Who cares? Just bumping...)

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 27

No, that is exciting, Julie!  I love getting new cutters and veiners, especially veiners!  What I am in dire need are covered wires!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 27

Yes, new cutters & veiners are wonderful.  Just the hope of making new flowers someday is cheery.  Love the big bold peonies as one flower can make a statement of a cake.   There are so many varieties & colors.  You've made a good choice on cutters.

Friday Night Cake Club For 03-06-20

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 27

I made this mermaid cake. I was so looking forward to making it but annoyingly it didn’t turn out how I was expecting at all. It’s supposed to look like a mermaid diving into the sea but the sea doesn’t look great and the tail is all lumpy. I do like the colours and the wafer paper fin and the birthday girl seemed very happy with it.Friday Night Cake Club For 03-06-20

MBalaska Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 27

@longlou It's adorable.  the colors are just perfect, love the tail.

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 27

What is wrong with you woman?!!  This is a gorgeous cake, the best mermaid tail cake that I've seen!  You must just be too close to it.  Back off amd give yourself a pat on the back!

louglou Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 27
Laetia Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 27

I love making flowers, and because I almost only make kids birthday cake, I do not have the chance to play with my tool often. I totaly understand the feelings you've both discribe. I thought I was doing a good job with my flower 'till I saw yours MBAlaska! This is gorgeous!

Louglou this is an amazing cake, no wonder the birthday girl loved it!  Colors are so spot on. Love, love, love!

MBalaska Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 27

Thank You Laetia! 

louglou Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 8:55pm
post #12 of 27

Thanks everyone.

Your comment made me laugh Sandra.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 27

Your mermaid tail is wonderful!!  As Sandra said........what's wrong with you??   I know we are all our own worst critic.  So what if the tail is 'lumpy'...........she has a fungus :)

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 3:42am
post #14 of 27

Gorgeous peony, MBalaska!  I have not yet tried one, but it is definitely on the list.

I am serious, Louglou!  I would be strutting if I made that cake!

Laetia Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 27

Not sure if this can be legitimately can be call a peony, but I do think it's a darn looking good fantasy flower!Friday Night Cake Club For 03-06-20

MBalaska Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 27

lovely peony @Laetia!  Well Done. 

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 6:25pm
post #17 of 27

Of course it is a peony, Julie!  What else could it possibly be?!  Not meaning to be rude or harsh, but your leaves and buds would look more realistic if you wrapped the wires with floral tape.  You did a gorgeous job!

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 27

I did make a magnolia and a couple of leaves.Friday Night Cake Club For 03-06-20

Laetia Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 8:18pm
post #19 of 27

Your magnolia is a beauty Sandra! Honestly, I think the shape of my peony is wrong, not "spheric" enough. I dont know,  I guess I'm just hard with myself! Your comment was not hard or rude at all, dont worry about that. I'm here to learn! I will definately cover the wires with floral tape while assembling them, it was already planed. Perhaps I should have covers them first?

Thank you MBalaska!

MBalaska Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 9:38pm
post #20 of 27

@Sandra the magnolia is a very elegant statement flower for a cake.  Great Job!!

@Laetia, keep folders or computer files with photos of real flowers, leaves, buds, stems, arrangements.  Our sugar flowers are almost idealized compared to the real thing.  In nature there is no limit to the variations in shape, size & color.  so make your flowers and have fun. 

also if you try to make sugar paste/gumpaste flowers really thin like the real thing, you won't even get past the dusting stage without breaking them all to heck.  We take close up detailed photos of our creations, but in real life when on a cake or in a vase...……. you just see the overall flower.  That's as it should be.

There are many colors of floral tape, AND you can dust your floral tape just like you dust your sugar flowers.

Enjoy 

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 7:01pm
post #21 of 27

bump

Laetia Posted 9 Mar 2020 , 10:58pm
post #22 of 27

Thanks so much for all the tips and pointers MBalaska! It's precious. I did'nt tought that floral tape could be dust! Me and my dusting addiction might have a little party...

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 1:10am
post #23 of 27

Thanks, MBalaska!  I know a Southern Magnolia does not have pink streaks, but I actually made it for the pink and chocolate birthday cake, then changed my mind and thought the lily looked better.

MBalaska is exactly right about there being so much variety in the flower world, also the thickness of the petals.  The only time you really need petals thin enough to read through is for competition.  For a cake or sugar arrangement, it is much better to leave the petals a little thicker to prevent breakage.  If rolled too thinly, they are more susceptible to "wilting" from heat and humidity too.  I use white wires for all of my flowers and dust them whatever color is most appropriate.  Simplifies supplies.

Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 10:05pm
post #24 of 27

Thank you Sandra!

kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2020 , 12:44pm
post #25 of 27

Bump

Laetia Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 11:35am
post #26 of 27

Bump

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 14 Mar 2020 , 12:54am
post #27 of 27

I need to start re-stocking my flowers, mostly roses and daisies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%