Starting A Baking Business

Business By iris.19 Updated 5 Mar 2020 , 7:13pm by SandraSmiley

iris.19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris.19 Posted 1 Mar 2020 , 12:21am
post #1 of 10

I am a young baker and i have started selling the baked goods that i make only about 4 months ago. I somewhat know how to price my products however i still havent found a solid price and was wondering how everyone else prices what they make? so far i sell cakepops, red velvet and vanilla $2 each, chocolate chip cookies on the bigger side $1 each and i sell brownies but i have no idea how to price them. Besides that does anyone have any tips on how i can improve and advertise my business? or some dos and donts that you have expirienced first hand? Honestly anything will help me

9 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Mar 2020 , 2:58am
post #2 of 10

I've only ever sold cakes, iris.19, so no help with your questions.  However, a long time ago, I did sell small loaves of banana and yam bread at our little market.  The way I calculated the price was to determine my cost for ingredients, then tripled or quadrupled the price.  That is a very simplified way of pricing, but it was just a sideline thing.  This was in 1999 and I sold those 2" x 5" loaves for $5 each and they flew out the door faster than I could make them.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 1 Mar 2020 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 10

Bump

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2020 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 10

Pricing is very complex Besides what has already been said you also have to add in the cost of gas, electric, rent/a portion of your house punt, fuel for car when you shop for ingredients & deliver , other equipment used such as boards , boxes etc for packaging, your skill level, where you live and a whole lot of things I’m forgetting including paying yourself In my opinion you’re prices are too low - at least double them When you sell so cheap you not only hurt yourself but others Yes it takes a lot of time and work to come up with pricing but in the long run it will help you Add up your costs as Sandra said & at least quadruple that to cover those”hidden “ costs

kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2020 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 10

Pricing is very complex Besides what has already been said you also have to add in the cost of gas, electric, rent/a portion of your house punt, fuel for car when you shop for ingredients & deliver , other equipment used such as boards , boxes etc for packaging, your skill level, where you live and a whole lot of things I’m forgetting including paying yourself In my opinion you’re prices are too low - at least double them When you sell so cheap you not only hurt yourself but others Yes it takes a lot of time and work to come up with pricing but in the long run it will help you Add up your costs as Sandra said & at least quadruple that to cover those”hidden “ costs

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Mar 2020 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 10

bump

kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2020 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 10

Bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 4 Mar 2020 , 12:46am
post #8 of 10

Bump