Thinking Of Trying Sps - Overkill?

Decorating By UtahPam Updated 22 Feb 2020 , 1:32pm by Laetia

UtahPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UtahPam Posted 19 Feb 2020 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 5

I’m doing a 3 tier wedding cake next month and as home baker who does big cakes occasionally, I still tend to overthink.  The wedding is for a family member and will be held at my aunts house   I will literally be making the cake in her kitchen and moving it to the living room for display and cutting .  I have always used the Wilton dowel support system in the past without issue   Was planning on doing the same but now I am reading about SPS.  My cakes are generally heavier since I add the pudding and the egg and otherwise doctor up DH mixes.   It will be a 6-9-12 double torted red velvet with cream cheese filling and cream cheese bc.  I was thinking with all those layers and a potentially soft filling, maybe SPS would give me extra confidence even if I’m not traveling with it.   Thank you!

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Feb 2020 , 12:34am
post #2 of 5

With the cake being inside at all times and not being transported, I would not even consider using the SPS system.  In face, I would just use my usual dowels and cake boards between each tier.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2020 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 5

Using SPS means you will be using 'push-in' pillars instead of doweling & cake bord.  I have used them several times and they are o.k.  You really need a tall cake to help hold up those pillars - at least 4" tall, better if more.   With the plan you have I don't see why not use them but some of them are VERY thin at the end....especially the clear ones -- at least they were some 25-30 yrs ago LOL.   Also they probably would give you LESS confidence :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2020 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 5

bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 22 Feb 2020 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 5

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%