Strawberry Cream Cake

Baking By CristyCE Updated 22 Feb 2020 , 1:30pm by Laetia

CristyCE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyCE Posted 17 Feb 2020 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 5

kakeladi, thank you for the reply! It's weird that new members have to have 30 days before being about to reply to posts. Why is that?

I think I will wait until the morning to assemble it. A few more questions regarding my cake:

1.) If I plan on being at work at 6 am, and can't serve the cake until 2 pm, should I bring the components of the cake and assemble at work? Or do you think it wouldn't make much of a difference to assemble the cake that morning before work and just keep in fridge for 8 hours? I can't substitute the whipped topping for a buttercream because it has to be super light. It has cream cheese, heavy cream, sugar, extract, and salt in it. I'm not even sure how long the whipped cream would be at the right consistency for after it's whipped if I waited to assemble it.

2.) Would freezing a slice of this cake, then thawing in fridge,  compromise its quality?

3.) Did you mean I should wrap the cake layers individually in plastic wrap, then refrigerate the night before I assemble it? Or freeze?

Sorry about the weird questions... I just want to make sure I don't mess it up! Thanks for any advice you can give!

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2020 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 5

I have to go along with kakeladi on this one.  In fact, I would not even assemble it the morning of the party and refrigerate all day.  As you mentioned, I would take the components to work with me and assembly shortly before the cake will be served.  Cut strawberries and whipped cream will deteriorate, if not spoil, rapidly at room temperature.  This cake is essentially a big strawberry short cake, so handle it the same way.

I am a bit confused.  You said you could not use buttercream, but you mentioned cream cheese in the frosting.  You also mentioned whipping the cream.  Are you planning to try to combine cream cheese and whipped cream?  Not sure that will work, but maybe.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2020 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 5

Point #1 what Sandra said:)    Point 2:  yes bake cake layers, wrap & fz — take them fz to work, leave at room temp until assembling — they will defrost completely by 1-2 pm     Freezing fresh strawberries is never recommend — they usually turn to mush :(   

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2020 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 5

bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 22 Feb 2020 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 5

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%