Thin Cake Layers

Baking By MercedesAriana Updated 13 Feb 2020 , 3:47am by SandraSmiley

MercedesAriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MercedesAriana Posted 7 Feb 2020 , 3:05am
post #1 of 5

So I’ve been using a recipe from a blog to make a vanilla cake. It yields 4, 7in cake rounds. The first time I made it, it came out great. But every time after that, my layers seem to be thin. Much thinner than my first attempt at the cake. The major differences between the first time and following attempts is that I invested in a stand mixer and a kitchen scale. In the first attempt, I used a hand mixer (with the standard whisk attachments) and measured ingredients with a measuring cup and teaspoons etc. Now I use a kitchen scale to measure all ingredients, wet and dry and I use the paddle attachment on my stand mixer. I’m aware that over mixing can cause the cakes to be dense so I’m careful as to not over mix with my stand mixer. I make sure the butter and buttermilk used in the recipe are at room temp. The cake pans I use are 7 X 3in Fat Daddios. In the first attempt I did put all 4 cake pans in my oven to bake at 350 for about 30 min . I’ve even attempted to bake two at a time so see if maybe overcrowding the oven was an issue to no avail. There’s been a time where I waited too long to bring the butter to room temp and the butter was more mushy than anticipated, but I’m not sure if that would affect rise that much. I have even checked to make sure my baking powder is still good and it is. i normally use shortening, flour and parchment paper (which is what I used during my first attempt) to prep my cake pans and ive even tried just Pam and parchment to see if it made a difference. Lately my cakes are barely even 1 inch thick and I don’t really have to level them but it makes for a shorter finished cake. I can’t figure out where I’m going wrong and quite frankly it’s driving me crazy

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Feb 2020 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 5

Bump 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2020 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

The only thing I can think of is that when you switched to using your scale instead of measuring cups, less flour is being used.  I wouldn't think it would be enough to make that much difference, though.  If your texture is as it should be and moistness, why not just increase your recipe by maybe 1/4 to give you more height?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2020 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 5

Bump 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Feb 2020 , 3:47am
post #5 of 5

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%