Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!

Decorating By Kimbadawhitelyon Updated 6 days ago by SandraSmiley

Kimbadawhitelyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimbadawhitelyon Posted 2 Feb 2020 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 14

Hi, I was asked by a friend of a friend of mine to make her wedding cake. Mum and I made her engagement cake and she apparently still dreams about eating it as it was so yummy. She sent me pictures of designs that she likes but has left a bit of the design up to me as she is unsure what would look best. Honestly I’m not all that sure myself so I’m here asking for some advice.

The bride wants a mostly white cake with Gold painted bands as accents on each of the two round tiers. On top there is a single large white and gold flower and a Mr&Mrs topper. Other than that, there is no other decorations and I’m thinking it might look a bit too plain. I’m thinking maybe add some extra flowers on the side halfway or at the base, but if I do, do I copy the same flower or a complimentary style instead? Or should I leave it plain? Here is a picture of what she sent me.

Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!

13 replies
Kimbadawhitelyon Posted 2 Feb 2020 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 14

Also, when there is a large flower on top along with a topper, how do you place them so that both work together and both are visible? It always seems a bit of a competition between two focal points to me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2020 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 14

Hello   I would scale down the flower a bit &/or place it  so it hangs over the edge some allowing the topper room   Simple is elegant- probably don’t need anything more if you get the icing finish perfect:)    However I probably would add a thin “ribbon” of the gold at the bottom & maybe 1 or 3 small flowers 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 2 Feb 2020 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 14

If it's going to be 2 tiers then you're good. Simply move the flower to the middle where the tiers meet and the topper will be fine.  I agree with kakeladi on the thin gold ribbon at the bottom of the top tier (or maybe both) to offset the painted bands.

TerraCottle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerraCottle Posted 3 Feb 2020 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 14

a simple white bead boarder would look nice also at the bottom. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Feb 2020 , 3:35am
post #6 of 14

I am the odd ball, naturally, and prefer the design plain without a bottom border.  That is purely a matter of taste, however.  Either would look fine.  I would not use anything ore than two or three small (really small) flowers on top with the topper and use the larger one on top of the bottom tier.  I agree that it is elegant and classy and doesn't really need anything else at all.

Kimbadawhitelyon Posted 4 Feb 2020 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 14

That sounds like a good design plan SandraSmiley, the bride was after simple and elegant and I doubt she would want extra ribbon, pearls or borders. I hadn’t considered moving the focal flower down but it makes sense. I’ll make up a mock cake out of card or some foam dummies to see if I like it, and if it works I will show the bride and hopefully get her approval.

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Feb 2020 , 1:36am
post #8 of 14

Best of luck to you, Kimbadawhitelyon!  I know you will create a gorgeous cake.

Rachel19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel19 Posted 5 Feb 2020 , 7:46am
post #9 of 14

Yes, I do this a lot!  Most topper supports are not long enough, so I’ll wrap a dowel with floral tape onto the bottom to extend.  Then move the flower close to the center to cover it.  Also, another thing to consider is making sure she doesn’t purchase a topper that is too tall since you will raise it up and add height.  The rule I go by is that it should not be taller than the top tier of the cake, and no wider than the top tier (preferably one inch thinner).

Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!

Rachel19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel19 Posted 5 Feb 2020 , 7:49am
post #10 of 14

I meant IF you raise up the topper. :)

Quote by @Rachel19 on 1 minute ago

Also, another thing to consider is making sure she doesn’t purchase a topper that is too tall since you will raise it up and add height. 

Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!Bride Has Let Me Decide Final Design... Help Please!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Feb 2020 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 14

Bump 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2020 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 14

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 8 Feb 2020 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 14

Bump