Help! Detailed Icing Dilemma.

Decorating By MrsFarrell Updated 13 Feb 2020 , 3:45am by SandraSmiley

MrsFarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsFarrell Posted 1 Feb 2020 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 11

Help! Detailed Icing Dilemma.I have an enquiry for this cake. I am struggling to think of the best way to achieve the star wars detailing on the side of the cakes. I'm open to all ideas please! Thanks in advance.Help! Detailed Icing Dilemma.

10 replies
inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 1 Feb 2020 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe use a projector to project the image onto the side of the cake, and use icing to "trace" it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2020 , 1:27am
post #3 of 11

No projector?   Make a temporary “press” Trace the images found on the internet , turn over trace again then pipe over w/royal icing — let dry  Use as a press on b’cream so you can pipe right on the cake     Be sure to ice the cake with crusting icing & work w/the cake elevated to eye-level 

kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2020 , 1:28am
post #4 of 11

No projector?   Make a temporary “press” Trace the images found on the internet , turn over trace again then pipe over w/royal icing — let dry  Use as a press on b’cream so you can pipe right on the cake     Be sure to ice the cake with crusting icing & work w/the cake elevated to eye-level 

kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2020 , 1:28am
post #5 of 11

Rachel19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel19 Posted 5 Feb 2020 , 8:00am
post #6 of 11

Something I do that’s really simple in these situations (usually hand painting monograms and such) is instead of trying to pipe it straight onto the side of the cake, make a thin piece of fondant cut out into the shape.  Then find a good image (preferably with the details white on black or vice versa), if you have a tablet of laptop, raise the brightness to the highest possible and turn of all lights in the room.  Lay the thin fondant over the design and pipe over the details (most tablets have a function that lets you lock the screen so you don’t disturb it while piping).  It’s been a great cheat for me when making intricate crests or calligraphy, which I’m not great at.  You could also print out a photo of it, again in black and white, and trace that through the fondant.

kakeladi Posted 5 Feb 2020 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 11

That’s a great idea Rachel   I’m sure it will help many 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2020 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 11

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Feb 2020 , 1:17am
post #9 of 11

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 9 Feb 2020 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 11

Disney owns Star Wars now... just be careful... 

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Feb 2020 , 3:45am
post #11 of 11

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%