Petal Dust Goes Everywhere

Baking By pollyfan Updated 27 Jan 2020 , 4:25pm by SandraSmiley

pollyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pollyfan Posted 26 Jan 2020 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 5

I love the color effects I get with petal dust. But I think I must be doing something wrong, because although the dust goes where I want it to it also goes other places too, where I don't want it! And I can't get it off again. 

Is there a way to get petal dust precisely where it should go without going astray? Especially in small areas? I don't want to paint with vodka because it gives a shiny finish and I want matte. 

Thanks! 

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jan 2020 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 5

I think you just have to accept that going all over the place is part of it's charm!  It always does he same with me and I have to wash off everything with a soapy sponge.  You might also try setting your piece on parchment paper to catch the stray dust.  I've done that and it helps a lot.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Jan 2020 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 5

if you use parchment paper, as @SandraSmiley suggests you can pour some of the petal dust that has collected on the paper back into the jar.

You can also put paper towels down and it will catch lots of the powder, but it's not recoverable.  I stick with the parchment paper myself as petal dust is really expensive.  I've seen some decorators wear those little paper / cloth masks over their mouth & nose when decorating.  It will get into your nose as well as fly around everywhere.  Be mindful not to put too much powder on your brush before you dust.  Turn the cap over on the table & tap your brush into the cap before putting it on the flowers.  This taps off lots of extra dust that would just fly around the room.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2020 , 1:53am
post #4 of 5

As Malaska  said once you dip your brush in tap it so most of the dust is shaken off   You will be surprise how little is needed,  & still on the brush    

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jan 2020 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%