Combining Cake Flavors & Frosting

Baking By sophiadelicacies Updated 27 Jan 2020 , 4:34pm by SandraSmiley

sophiadelicacies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophiadelicacies Posted 23 Jan 2020 , 6:41am
post #1 of 4

hi Sandra,

I'm cleared with one thing that I will make two different cakes, its a chance to have different flavours. thank you for replying.

SandraSmiley Posted 14 hours ago
post #2 of 2
Actions  
You can easily stack multiple cakes with proper doweling.  If you are not familiar with the process, YouTube has a million videos showing how it is done.  Just enter "How to stack a tiered cake" in your search engine and you will find lots of help.
It is also not a bad idea to have multiple single tier cakes, which could be quite attractively displayed.  Whatever you feel more comfortable doing.
sophiadelicacies Posted 1 day ago
post #1 of 2
Actions 
Combining Cake Flavors & Frosting -reply to kakeladi
Dear Kakelad,
thanks for the detail explanation & advise. I really appreciate your generosity.
Ermine frosting will help with taste & less sweetness but its not guaranteed the Fondant figurines will survive. I liked the idea of strawberry marble & filling with strawberry puree mixed with stabilized whipped cream & fresh strawberry. lemon cake with Bavarian cream. but how to make it big to accommodate 60 pax. 2 tires or two different cakes. I don't like the idea of long cake. but I need to make round. any ideas welcome
thanks
Sophia
kakeladi Posted 1 day ago
post #2 of 2
Actions   1st off before I forget let me advise you that being new to this forum you will not be able to reply to any post for about 30 days.   If you have any comment or further ?s just start a new post & please mention the one you are replying to in the title line:) 
There is a cooked flour recipe sometimes called 'ermine frosting' that is suppose to be less sweet.  I have never made it but there are recipes on here or it can be googled. 
I don't think one 12"x4" round cake is going to be enough for 60 people.  As for the flavor of the cake & icing that will be whatever you want!  Lemon sounds good to me but is usually more of a summer flavor.   What about doing butter pecan (filled with pastry cream or Bavarian creme)   Try chocolate or strawberry marbled?  Filling for either of those could be strawberry buttercream OR jam;   
I don't know for sure but think I read that fondant over whipped cream does not work.  I'm sure someone else who knows for sure will jump on here to let you know.     

Hi, this is my first query. thank you cake central for this platform.
Im supposed to bake & decorate my daughters First Holy communion cake. the room temp will be around 20 deg C,  I prefer finalizing it one day ahead & refrigerate. i have a large ice box to transport.  i will have rosary, bread, challice, wheat stalks & grapes made with fondant. the sponge i will bake in 12 inch x 4 inch pan. guests around 60 mix.
my question is what will be suggested for sponge, filling, and smooth frosting or icing to cover the cake. I prefer Whipped cream but will Fondant be OK to place on whipped cream? i dont like butter cream bec of sweetness. any other suggestion leaving aside fondant & butter cream? i want unique yet delicious light cake sponge & filling inside.
any suggestions please .

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2020 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 4

Since you don't really want what we call a 'sheet cake' for 60 people I'd make a tiered cake -- two cakes stacked on on top of the other with proper doweling.    I suggest the sizes be 12"x4" round with an 8"x3" round.  As Sandra suggested they can be displayed separately if you'd rather - one on a pedestal the other right on the table --  Makes a nice display.  Using fresh berries and whipped cream will mean having to keep the cake cold until serving time.  Very limited display time.   With the fondant decorations you said it will have it sounds like it's going to be really nice.   Have you figured out what icing you will use?  I think fondant would be good and even used buttercream under it.  The amount of BC used will be small so it should not be that sweet. (Well at least in my thinking!)   You just need a very light amount -- a  crumb coating -- spread on, then scrape most off  When eaten with the fondant I don't think most/anyone will find the b'cream overly sweet   Do post a picture when it is finished. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2020 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 4

Oh......just thought of times I mixed fresh strawberries with b'cream…..it bled - leaked all over :(  Not sure if there is something I didn't do right or how to stop that.  Hopefully someone on here will know and speak up for you.  I'd hate to see your beautiful creation ruined by strawberry juice leaking all over it.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jan 2020 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%