Rolling Fondant Without Cornstarch??

Decorating By jessicake Updated 27 Jan 2020 , 4:33pm by SandraSmiley

jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 20 Jan 2020 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 12

I have a bride with an allergy to all things CORN.  Sure. No problem.  She decided she would prefer a fondant covering for her cake instead of buttercream.  Check the ingredients label on my fondant: no corn.  No problem.

But WAIT!  How do I roll out my fondant without CORN STARCH?  

I realize people use crisco, but I'm not sure I understand how that will work.  Then I have to peel it off my table?  

Has anyone had success with other starches?  Tapioca starch?  Potato starch?  Any reason why these would not work?  Thanks in advance!!

11 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jan 2020 , 12:33am
post #2 of 12

I have not used tapioca or potato starch, but I see no reason why they would not work.  You can also use powdered sugar, which would be my first choice if I could not use corn starch.  I've used Crisco, in fact, it is my favorite way to roll out fondant, BUT I use it with a mat.  You apply a small amount of Crisco to the mat, wipe off most of it with a paper towel, roll out the fondant, pick up the mat and drap the fondant over the cake and peel away the mat.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 21 Jan 2020 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 12

I second crisco with a mat!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jan 2020 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 12

Like Sandra said when I was 1st introduced to the use of fondant I was taught to lightly smear shortening on the surface, then take a paper towel and wipe it off -- not scrub but lightly wipe it.  Maybe that will help you? 

jessicake Posted 22 Jan 2020 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you all so much! My powdered sugar does contain cornstarch, so that's not an option, but I will try the Crisco.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Jan 2020 , 2:43am
post #6 of 12

Crisco mat -- as the smart ladies above said = best choice

or make your own powdered sugar in a food processor, then it won't have any cornstarch in it like a commercial product.

arrowroot powder is a baking substitute for cornflour, perhaps it would work for fondant also.  It has no flavor.

jessicake Posted 23 Jan 2020 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 12

Now a question for all you Crisco advocates:  Does the Crisco not leave the fondant a little tacky and/or shiny? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2020 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 12

It sometimes makes it a bit shinny but then you probably didn't wipe it after smearing it on your surface.  I never had it be tacky.

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jan 2020 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 12

I have not noticed a problem with it, but I do use homemade marshmallow fondant, which has a tendency to be a little more soft and sticky.

Be sure and wipe away most of the Crisco.  It takes only the slightest film.

jessicake Posted 23 Jan 2020 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much for all the advice! 

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jan 2020 , 1:59am
post #11 of 12

You are very welcome.  Good luck!

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jan 2020 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%