Flavor Help Please!!!

Baking By Camino56 Updated 21 Jan 2020 , 7:41pm by kakeladi

Camino56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Camino56 Posted 19 Jan 2020 , 12:13am
post #1 of 7

Still pretty new to this cake thing and so now I want to branch out and attempt working with more flavors.  (Normally its a plain flavor with vanilla BC)   I would like to make and orange flavored cake and fill it with white vanilla chocolate mousse (because I have a few bars that I would like to use up).First of all will this taste good?  Then I am hoping to cover it with SMBC.  I've only made this one time and I kinda forget what it tastes like, so in my head I cannot put these flavors together.  I can't do chocolate-which would go great with orange (because I need to color my frosting) and I was hoping the SMBC would help it not be too sweet.  Thoughts????  Thanks much!!!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2020 , 1:20am
post #2 of 7

That combination sounds very good:)   I don’t do smbc so can’t help There   It seems to I’ve read that it does not take color well but then what do I know LOL 

kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2020 , 1:20am
post #3 of 7

That combination sounds very good:)   I don’t do smbc so can’t help There   It seems to I’ve read that it does not take color well but then what do I know LOL 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 19 Jan 2020 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 7

Mmmm - like a creamsicle!! You can add some orange flavoring to the SMBC as well if you’d like to brighten it up even more.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Jan 2020 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 7

chocolate cake with orange frosting is fantastic.

jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 20 Jan 2020 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 7

I would recommend using an orange oil to flavor your cake.  I like using the oil more than orange extract.  I think those flavors sound great!  To color your SMBC, you need to "bloom" the color.  Take a small amount of buttercream, add a strong gel food color, mix well and then microwave for a few seconds to melt the buttercream.  The color will have become very vibrant.  Now use this soupy, bright buttercream to color your larger batch of buttercream.  HTH!

kakeladi Posted 21 Jan 2020 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%