Dairy Free Scratch Wasc?

Baking By CalaMom Updated 4 Jan 2020 , 2:13am by srichmond

CalaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalaMom Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,  hoping someone could help.  I offered to make a cake for a family friend, but it has to be dairy free. Figured I'd use Almond/Soy Milk  and Country Crock Plant Butter for the milk and butter substitutes. But the sour cream is stumping me, could I just leave it out or is there a dairy free alternative to sour cream. I've heard of mayonnaise and instant pudding mix added to other cakes, but not sure if it would serve the same purpose for a scratch WASC, which would be better or if I should just TRY to track down some dairy free sour cream (thinking its safest bet) at a Whole Foods or something.  Any input would help. 

TIA.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 5

Mayo contains eggs & oil - not sure if that's considered dairy free.  I think I have heard of a non-dairy sour cream but have never used any.  Leaving it out in my opinion will result in a less 'fluffy' cake - more dense I think.  Are there non-dairy yogurts?  That would be a better sub.   Why don't yhou do a search for non-dairy sour cream and non-dairy mayo? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 5

I just did a quick search and there are many options offered for non dairy sour cream.  Mayo is considered non dairy already.

CalaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalaMom Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks!  Hubby was actually able to find Tufetti (?) sour cream at the grocery store :). I'll let you guys know what I think-I've never used it and was definitely not hoping to find andy so quick.

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 4 Jan 2020 , 2:13am
post #5 of 5

I used the Tofutti sour cream and it turned out great. The client loved it. It's quite a bit more expensive though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%