Iso Not Very Sweet Frosting

Decorating By haopengyou Updated 3 Jan 2020 , 3:45pm by Laetia

haopengyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haopengyou Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, and first of all thanks for your help about half a year ago!  unfortunately, i did not take photos :(  I will fix that next time.  I am looking for a frosting recipe that is not very sweet and came across this one: https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/19253/old-fashioned-cooked-frosting/  It looks like it would make 2.5 cups of frosting.  I am not sure if it is granulated sugar or powdered sugar..any ideas?  I was thinking I could replace some of the sugar with crushed almonds...maybe a small amount of cream of tartar.  Any ideas?  Not committed to this recipe...but it looks promising.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 7

Reading the replies one person mentions that granulated sugar  is used   They all say it takes *A LOT * Of beating to get the grittyness out & that it must be refrigerated at all times    The type of recipe also goes by the name ermine frosting   

haopengyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haopengyou Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 7

Could that be changed by using the same weight of powdered sugar - instead of the granulated?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 7

I really have no idea   Read the replies on the recipe —  there is one person who said some thing about mixing the sugar w/the flour etc & cook til no longer gritty   You are probably going to have to do some experiments to find what works best for you 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 7

I've made ermine frosting and I don't remember a problem with grittiness or over sweetness.  June is the Queen of Ermine, maybe she will step in.  

Have you considered using a stablized whipped cream?  Using cream, it can be as sweet, or not, as you like it.  My husband likes it slightly sweetened, I prefer it unsweetened.  Of course, it would also require refrigeration.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, by the way, adding ground almonds would pretty much guarantee that the frosting, while yummy, would be gritty.  Almonds do not dissolve.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 7

When it comes to cooked flour frosting, I use the recipe in that link

http://www.weheartrecipes.com/vovomary/recipes/9687-even-better-cooked-flour-frosting

By cooking the sugar with the milk/cream and flour, it is not gritty at all. I do use 4 tablespoon of flour instead of the 3 that are called for in the recipe, it makes the frosting a little stiffer. Even with this addition, this type of frosting is more on the soft side. Not good for piping, but wonderful to fill and frost a cake. I even used it under fondant without a problem. Definately, this type of frosting is not as sweet or buttery/heavy as american or swiss meringue buttercream. As for using almond in place of some sugar, I thing it woud make the frosting gritty, but I've never tried it myself. If it's the almond taste you want, I would use almond milk instead of the regular milk and substitute maybe 1/3 of the vanilla for almond extract. If you want the frosting less sweet than it is, I would try reducing the sugar by a 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup. I would not replace it by anything. Never tried it though, but I cant see why this would not work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%