Huge Air Bubble In Fondant!!! Please Help!!!

Decorating By satindoll_101 Updated 26 Dec 2019 , 10:07pm by kakeladi

satindoll_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satindoll_101 Posted 24 Dec 2019 , 4:47am
post #1 of 10

Ladies—this is happening right now at the back of my cake as my cake is coming to room temp. I’ve piked holes and cut slits but nothing is working. Please help!!!Huge Air Bubble In Fondant!!! Please Help!!!

9 replies
satindoll_101 Posted 24 Dec 2019 , 4:53am
post #2 of 10

Update—I cut this part out. There was a huge bulge of icing and fondant i removed. I am going to let air out overnight and repatch  with snow /white icing tomorrow. ... 

Ahhhh soo frustrating. I let the cake rest overnight after crumb coating to settle but I did only 1 hour at room temperature and the rest in the fridge . Maybe I should do longer at room temperature?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Dec 2019 , 6:54am
post #3 of 10

Once crumb coated there is no need to frig it unless the filling used must be kept cold   I never did frig fondant cakes    I was taught that the fondant needed to be put  on the buttercream *as soon* one finished smoothing it and you needed to rubbed the fondant against the buttercream to prevent such “blowouts”   I seldom had such problems Maybe the “old”  way is a better way to go :)   

satindoll_101 Posted 24 Dec 2019 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks. I let the cake sit on the counter overnight and patched it up this morning. It's ok since it's at the back but I'm still annoyed by it.

Question---I have some really tall fondant toppers to still put in cake (snoopy and tree!) with bubble tree straws and a royal icing "snow" to cover the base of the toppers so they stick to the cake. Should I refrigerate the cake before  do this?

I'm also wondering re: transporting if it matters if the cake is at room temp and not chilled. I normally transport cold but since this blowout happened I'm wondering if I should just let it be at room temp. The cake is being picked up and transported tomorrow (Christmas Day). 

kakeladi Posted 24 Dec 2019 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 10

I understand the idea of cold cake especially for transport but I think in this case it’s best not to refrigerate    Do you have a room that can be left inheated where it can be kept?   Or depending on where you live maybe a basement or outside porch— any place cool that is safe:)   You need to keep it dry   A frig has moist cooling   Depending on how long  it will be kept cold —if no other way but the frig then cover w/plastic wrap  put in cake box which is then put into a plastic bag or several layers of plastic wrap   I’m concerned about the royal icing “melting”   Any moisture and you will have sugar soup:(   

satindoll_101 Posted 24 Dec 2019 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 10

Ok thank you. I have never actually put royal icing in the fridge and didn't know it would melt and you're right I don;t want to chance another mishap. The finished cake is right now covered loosely in fondant and sitting on my countertop. My house is 22C (I live in Canada) and so far it seems fine so I think I will leave it as is . The toppres are tall and delicate and took forever to make so I don't want to chance ruining them. I've attached a pic of the finished piece. I'm hoping the back (where the air bubble was) will not be noticed **prays** because of everything else going on. Note to self---leave cakes at room temp to settle after crumb coat. Every mistake is a lesson learned! Thanks very much for your helHuge Air Bubble In Fondant!!! Please Help!!!p. :)

satindoll_101 Posted 24 Dec 2019 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 10

Not sure why my pics post sideways on here? They are vertical when I take them...

kakeladi Posted 25 Dec 2019 , 4:34am
post #8 of 10

Sorry just seeing this now and the pic won’t load on my phone so I can’t see your creations :(   It’s weird—I can post pix but most  won’t load    I won’t have computer access until Thursday   Sincerely hope it all works out well for you   

satindoll_101 Posted 26 Dec 2019 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 10

No worries. I have a hard time viewing pics on here too. Must be the site? The client emailed me back yesterday. The cake was a hit and everyone loved the design and the flavour so YAY! :D

kakeladi Posted 26 Dec 2019 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 10

YAY is right! :)  So glad it all worked out for you and them.

Now can I point out something for future consideration?   Not critizing but just be aware of your background when you take pix.  Maybe invest in a foam core 3 fold board &/or a dark cloth drape    The plug draws the eye away from the great work:)  BTW: I have the same back splash behind my stove top/burners :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%