5 Flavor Pound Cake

Baking By BettyA Updated 25 Nov 2019 , 2:15pm by jchuck

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 12

I've never had an occasion to bake a 5 flavor pound cake till now (special request) and Boy is it good. I baked one for my self just to find out how the flavors would be all together. (Rum, lemon, vanilla, butter extract, and coconut, 1 teaspoon of each)Have you ever made one?? 5 Flavor Pound Cake

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 12

I've never made one but it would be very similar to using my *original* WASC recipe.  In fact most any cake I make uses vanilla, almond, butter flavors so adding something like rum and maybe lemon, coconut or orange wouldn't be much different.

BettyA Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 12

I've added 2 flavors together ( lemon& almond or vanilla & almond but not 5. I was surprised how well they all blended together. It gave the cake a unique taste/flavor all it's own.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 12

It seems that MimiFix had a fantastic 5 flavor pound cake recipe also.  You could use those 5 flavors on any good recipe.  delicious!!

Sylvia Weinstocks original yellow cake won for the best recipe in the great scratch off yellow cake thread here on CC.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 12

now I'm hungry for yellow pound cake !!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Nov 2019 , 3:24am
post #6 of 12

I've frequently used vanilla, almond and butter flavor together and will give the five flavors a try.

By the way, Betty, I made a pound cake yesterday using Mrs. Jone's recipe which you shared.  I added lemon juice and zest for a lemon version.  It really is a fabulous recipe!  Thanks again!

BettyA Posted 24 Nov 2019 , 6:11am
post #7 of 12

Glad you like it Sandra, one of my favorites too. :))

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2019 , 9:29am
post #8 of 12

betty — it sounds fantastic and isn’t it interesting how you said the harmony of the flavors all morph into something levels beyond their original abilities — but man that looks so good — baked so lovely —

i just tried a gluten free bread recipe I got off delish using all fine ground almond flour held together with separated eggs, stiff beaten whites folded in type recipe —  just a veritable canvas looking for paint — and I thought man I could turn that into cake easy peasy but kinda wondered how/if just the vanilla lemon would carry the day —  if I ever do make it — I don’t bake a lot of sweets anymore— but maybe for the holidays — I should use all extracts? what brand butter and rum flavor did you use — your coconut rum thing plus the others is really speaking to me — great timing here 

BettyA Posted 24 Nov 2019 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 12

K8memphis , sorry it's taking so long to get back to you about extracts, everything was by McCormick. it's easy to find here.  We are still eating on the cake and I think it gets better with age. I used a 1/2 teaspoon of ea in the glaze too. I think these flavors would be good in any cake/pound cake. I didn't use almond because it's such a strong extract I was afraid it would over power everything. Pineapple, orange, rum, vanilla & coconut would have been good too I think. Might have to try that..  

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2019 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 12

lovely, betty -- thank you purple_heart

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2019 , 11:48am
post #11 of 12

hey — meet up over at “keep calm and cake on” fb page 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Nov 2019 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 12

I have made a similar pound cake with all the above extracts together...lemon, vanilla, butter and coconut. A couple of my family members aren’t fond of coconut, but when used in conjunction with the other flavours, it’s muted. I used rum, but not the extract, real rum, just about 2-3 tablespoons. As far as almond extract, I only use when it is the star of the recipe. As you say Betty, it is a very strong flavour. If blending, you need only a scant 1/8th tsp, or a mere drop. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%