Moving Out Of State And Need To Cancel A Wedding Cake Order

Business By nanavymom Updated 25 Nov 2019 , 5:15pm by -K8memphis

nanavymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanavymom Posted 22 Nov 2019 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 7

I need help finding the right way to tell a couple that I won't be available to make the cake for the end of May.

My husband has already started his job in another state - 1100 miles away. There is a big gap between my March 7th cake and the May 30th wedding cake. Spring is the ideal time to put a house on the market. I'm not confident I would still be in the house at the end of May to do the job. They booked several months ago for their venue 100 miles away - so I figure they really wanted my expertise to pay for delivery that far. If I were able to buy before I sell, I'd wait.

Please help me find the right words to tell them I need to cancel. Of course, I will give them their deposit back and give them recommendations.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2019 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 7

Oh that's a tough situation...…..can't really suggest anything but wish you good luck.  At least they have time to find someone else.  Can you suggest anyone to them that might be as good as you??

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 1:20am
post #3 of 7

As kakeladi said, I think the only thing you can do is to explain that your husband's job has changed locations and you will be moving.  Unfortunate, but nothing you can control.  If you know someone who could do a great job for them, why not contact them to see if they would be able to provide the cake and let the couple know that you have confidence in her ability.

nanavymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanavymom Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 2:25am
post #4 of 7

I did reach out to other cake shop owners I know and one was not available and the other said the delivery distance is too far. I have a cake artist community on FB, but haven't reached out to them yet. Part of that issue is that the delivery is 100 miles away. I don't know the cake artists in the area of the venue at all.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 7

nanavymom

Obviously you wouldn’t have accepted the wedding cake order had you known you would be moving 1100 miles away. Wasn’t on your  radar at the time. People get transferred or accept new jobs all the time. Gotta say, hats of to you to be willing to drive and deliver a cake 100 miles away!!! All you can really do is be honest and say exactly what has transpired. It’s kind of you to what to find another decorator, but that isn’t really necessary. It would be a blind recommendation anyway. As you stated, you don’t know any decorators/shops in the brides area. But I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to put out a call on some of your cake decorating fb pages. I have seen this done. Then at least you could give your bride some possible decorators to investigate. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Nov 2019 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 7

I once had a FaceBook friend reach out to me to see if I would be willing to make a cake for a friend of hers.  I was willing, so she shared our respective email addresses so we could talk.  I gave the client the link to my FB page so she could see my work.  She liked what she saw and agreed to my price.  I made and delivered the cake, everyone loved it, and we were all happy.

If you decide to reach out to FB friends, the same thing could be done.  The bride can see their work on their social media pages and they can talk to see if they are a good fit.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2019 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 7

hey — looks like last call — the lights are flickering here —

let’s meet up on  “keep calm and cake on” on fb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%