How Far In Advance Can I Bake/decorate A Cake

Decorating By MAofTCKY70 Updated 17 Nov 2019 , 1:05am by SandraSmiley

MAofTCKY70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAofTCKY70 Posted 15 Nov 2019 , 1:13am
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake to make for the 30th. I’m comfortable with my baking skills. My decorating is amateur level. I need help with time management.

When to bake, freeze, thaw, crumb coat, frost, decorate. Since it’s right after Thanksgiving and I’m also cooking/baking for a dinner of 25 people at my in laws, I’m trying to make my schedule now. I know I can make my buttercream frosting ahead and refrigerate on maybe Tuesday. (Unless someone with more experience thinks differently). I’m open to help. 

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2019 , 4:54am
post #2 of 5

Bake & fz NOW   Depending on what filling used you might even fill & ice them if buttercream   If fondant I’d crumb coat then wrap well & fz   Take them from fzr to counter to defrost overnight but no t more than 2 days before delivery    If finished iced remove wrapping when taken out of fzr    The next day finish icing & decorate    Yes the buttercream can also be made & friged now   

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2019 , 4:59am
post #3 of 5

I see this is your first post on this site so you will not be able to reply to any post for about a month or so   If you want to comment or ask more ?s just start a new post referring to this one 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Nov 2019 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, kakeladi's idea of freezing is the best time management tool ever.  I've finished iced many cakes with buttercream, then frozen them.  When freezing a cake already fully frosted, I like to put it in its box and wrap the box in plastic wrap.  To thaw, I place the box, still wrapped, in the fridge overnight.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Nov 2019 , 1:05am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%