More Pigeon Questions

Decorating By louglou Updated 16 Nov 2019 , 7:39pm by SandraSmiley

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 6

I’m thinking about how to make my rkt pigeon.

Do you cover rkt in buttercream, ganache or melted chocolate before fondant?

Also how to get a soft, feathered texture? 

For the neck I think I could use a 1M tip and push up little V shapes. But really not sure about the tail and wing feathers. Or how to make it look soft rather than smooth.

Any ideas please?More Pigeon Questions

5 replies
angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 15 Nov 2019 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 6

I don't use fondant much, so I'm not sure if this would actually work, but perhaps cover the fondant in either royal icing or candy melts and use a paintbrush to create the feathered texture, similar to the technique for the chocolate feathers on this cake?

https://www.yenersway.com/tutorials/free-online-cake-decorating-tutorials/sugar-doves-tutorial/

angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 15 Nov 2019 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 6

The forum seems to have eaten half my post and now it won't let me edit. Here is the link for the brushstroke cake

https://thecakeblog.com/2017/06/brushstroke-cake.html

Serdar Yeners tutorial for pastillage doves might also be helpful. It's not fondant, but maybe you could still use similar techniques to achieve the texture you're looking for?

https://www.yenersway.com/tutorials/free-online-cake-decorating-tutorials/sugar-doves-tutorial/

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Nov 2019 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 6

You can cover the RKT's with fondant without putting anything else on it first, but I like to cover the RKT's with melted chocolate for strength.  The feathers on a pigeon's neck are not very fluffy, so you could just leave them smooth or use something pointy to make fine lines, sort of like hair lines.  If you really wanted to get a texture similar to that shown in the picture, take tiny scissors, like manicure scissors, and make shallow clips with the blades pointing upward toward the head. 

For the larger wing and tail feathers, I personally use gum paste, but you can use fondant strengthened with tylose, and form the feathers individually.  For the nicest effect, you would need to wire the individual feathers like you do with leaves or some flower petals.  I use a knife to lightly imprint a feather texture on each feather.More Pigeon Questions

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 16 Nov 2019 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 6

I hadn’t thought about making the feathers individually but I can see that it would look better. I predict some late nights coming my way! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Nov 2019 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 6

Since your pigeon is resting, the long wing feathers could be made as one piece.  Cut a piece of gum paste or fondant in the shape, let it dry, then glue individual feathers on top of it.  No wiring necessary.  You probably only need two or three feathers for his tail, not too labor intensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%