Icing The Cake

Decorating By Jmonola Updated 14 Nov 2019 , 8:02pm by SandraSmiley

Jmonola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmonola Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  When I put icing on a layer cake I end up with bulges .  It looks fine at first but within a few minutes I start seeing bulges.  

3 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 4

My best recommendation is to fill and crumb coat your cake and then let it settle for a few hours if not overnight.  In addition, after I have filled/stacked my layers I give the top a good press down.  Nothing too crazy, but a bit of a push to really make sure everything is stable and together.  Also you really want to make sure that your cake layers are level.

Another recommendation is to use a stiffer buttercream to create a damn around the outer edge of your cake layers and then add your filling/regular buttercream to the inside.  I typically never do this unless I have a loose buttercream (like a cream cheese buttercream...i find that to be a lot looser than a regular ABC or IMBC) or am using a fruit filling or curd, etc.  I feel that as long as your buttercream can hold up on its own say if piped or what not, then a dam isn't really needed.  

But really just letting the cake settle will help everything to compress together so that when more weight is added with additional buttercream and/or fondant your cake won't bulge.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 4

Hi there & Welcome to our forum    We call those “cake farts “ or blow outs    I know many follow freckles advice but in over 30 years I haven’t & had  little of the problems you say    It is possible your icing is too thick so try adding a bit more fat—butter or shortening to make it creamier   Maybe you are not using enough pressure to anchor the icing to the cake —when smoothing the final coat be sure to push it a bit harder   Once that’s done use a clean toothpick or pin to poke holes all around the top & bottom edges —they will be covered by the borders but while you decorate will let any trapped air escape         Being a new poster you will not be able to reply to any post for about a month or so   To comment/answer any question just start a new post referring in the subject line to the one you are answering 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 4

Unlike kakeladi, I've had a lot of experience with buldging, fortunately it was on family cakes.  I think one of the main culprits is applying too much frosting between layers and it could also be too soft.  I follow the steps Freckles0829 outlined and have even put a light weight on top of the cake while it is in the fridge, prior to final frosting.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%