Need To Confirm Best Way To Achieve This Look With Glitter

Decorating By smartino Updated 9 Nov 2019 , 8:19pm by SandraSmiley

smartino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smartino Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 4

Need To Confirm Best Way To Achieve This Look With GlitterHi all, just joined!  I'm not a professional cake maker, but enjoy making elaborate cakes for parties and events that I'm invited to or hosting just for personal satisfaction.  I have this cake, pictured below that I want to make for an upcoming party, but I am trying to figure out the best way to get the glitter applied as I will be using buttercream instead of fondant.

My idea is to frost the entire cake and chill it so that the base buttercream sets as much as possible and then go back in with fresh buttercream for the glitter areas and try somehow to get the glitter only on the selected swirled areas.  I am worried however that this is still going to make a big mess over the rest of the buttercream that I don't want the glitter on and because its buttercream I wouldn't be able to brush it off as easily as it was fondant for instance.  I would obviously try to paint it on as neatly as possible, but you know how glitter is LOL.   

Can anyone confirm please that this is the best option? Or if you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear it.   Thanks so much!

3 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 4

If it were me I wouldn't even try using sprinkles of any sort.  Instead I would use gold paint and paint the design.  First I would pipe on the design so that it is raised from the cake and then I would paint the piping.  Then you could use large sprinkle/sugar gems for the crystal pieces.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 4

Hi &   Welcome!   I agree w/freckle 4a couple reasons-there are few edible glitters on the market—most are ground plastic that can be harmful—especially to the very young &/or old   Using gold edible paint is safer   Next just want to say you will not be able to reply to any post so if you want to comment on any post just start a new post referring to the one replying to  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 4

I completely agree with Freckles0829.  Roxy & Rich makes an edible gold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%