Buttercream

Baking By NewtotheGAME....-_70 Updated 9 Nov 2019 , 9:46am by louglou

NewtotheGAME....-_70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewtotheGAME....-_70 Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 6

After trying several buttercream recipes ie.. American, Swiss, half and half Swiss, my buttercream is either too sweet with American, too buttery and too greasywith the Swiss.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Colleen  —  Welcome!   Only part of your ? came through but I’m guessing you want another recipe:)   There is one some use — a cooked flour icing that goes by several names one of which I believe is Ermin (spelling?)   Sorry I can’t link it for you but do a google search for “cooked flour icing” and you will find it    The following comment is NOT meant to be rude at all but really icing is meant to be sweet:)    Oh, another thing some people do is to add at least 1/2 teaspoon salt to a recipe to cut the sweetness      Lastly since you are new here you will not be able to reply to any post so if you want to comment on any  including this one just start a new post referring to the one you are commenting on in the subject line 

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 6

American - Use less sugar. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, tasting it as you go until you get the right sweetness. Then add a little milk or heavy cream if needed to get the right spreadable texture. Or add a little white balsamic vinegar to cut the sweetness and give it a bit of a tartness. https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/61811/white-balsamic-american-buttercream

SMBC - Use less butter. How much are you using? The recipe I typically use calls for 9 egg whites, 2 cups of sugar, 2 cups of butter. This is less butter than some SMBC recipes, but it's my personal preference.

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 6

ETA: Don't be afraid to edit recipes. Nothing is set in stone. Just remember, if you do change the measurements in a recipe, remember to write it down so you can recreate it in the future. I don't know how many times I've tweaked something in a recipe and then forgot what I changed later on. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 6

A lot of people like to use stablized whipped cream for frosting cakes.  Since you prefer a less sweet, buttery taste, this may be a good choice for you.

https://www.food.com/recipe/wilton-stabilized-whipped-cream-79506

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 9:46am
post #6 of 6

I add lots of salt to my American buttercream. It makes a huge difference. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%