What Are You Making For The Holidays???

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 11 Nov 2019 , 8:53pm by SandraSmiley

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 6:40pm
post #31 of 54

Well, Betty, you caught me by surprise!  I have never made a loaf of white sandwich bread!  For white bread, I use an Amish potato based sourdough starter (been in my family for over 40 years).  It is very soft, though, and would not work very well for sandwiches.  For sandwiches, we eat a lot of whole wheat and rye breads, also rustic artisan breads.  I am going to give you the link to King Arthur Flour's site, which has a ton of bread recipes and they are all tried and true.  I've used several of them and they are all delicious.  They also have great baking tips.    

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/king-arthurs-classic-white-sandwich-bread-recipe

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 7:16pm
post #32 of 54

My favorite recipe for cinnamon rolls is actually called Philadelphia Sticky Buns.  It is sort of long and drawn out, but I've been baking this recipe for almost 50 years and it is still my favorite sweet roll.

PHILADELPHIA STICKY BUNS   (Makes 12 Buns)             See notes at the end of recipe.

Yeast Dough:  1/3 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup warm water (115 degrees F.), 1 egg, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup margarine or butter, 1 Pack Instant Yeast or Active Dry Yeast, 2-1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour

Filling:  Margarine or butter, softened; light brown sugar; 1/2 cup pecans, halved (I prefer coarsely chopped nuts); 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; 1/2 cup chopped raisins

1.  In a small saucepan, heat milk just until bubbles form around the edges of the pan; remove from heat.  Add granulated sugar, salt and butter, stirring until butter is melted.  Let cool to lukewarm.

2.  If possible, check temperature of warm water with thermometer.  Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl, stirring until dissolved.  Stir in milk mixture.  

3.  Add egg and 2 cups flour, beat with electric mixer until smooth  Add rest of flour; with wooden spoon, beat until dough is smooth and leaves side of bowl.

4.  Turn out dough onto lightly floured pastry cloth.  Knead until smooth and blisters appear.

5.  Place in lightly greased large bowl; turn once to grease both sides of dough.  Cover with a damp towel; let rise in warm place, free from drafs, until double in bulk, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.  NOTE:  When is is cold, I let my dough rise in the oven with the light turned on.

6.  Meanwhile, make filling:  In small bowl, with wooden spoon, cream 1/4 cup butter with 1/4 cup light brown sugar.  Add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to mixture.  Spread on bottom and side of 9" skillet.  Sprinkle with pecans.

7.  On lightly floured pastry cloth or surface, roll dough into a 12" by 16" rectangle.

8.  Spread with 4 tablespoons soft butter; sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon.

9.  Roll up from long side, Jelly-roll fashion; pinch edge to seal.

10.  Cut crosswise into 12 pieces; place cut side down in skillet.  Let rise, covered in a warm place, free from drafts for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.

11.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

12.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

13.  Invert skillet on large cookie sheet; let stand 1 minute, then remove pan.  Serve warm.

NOTES:  This is an old fashioned recipe and some things are done a bit differently now.  Instead of hand kneading, you can do all of the kneading with your mixer, on slow spead, using the dough hook. To tell if the dough has been beaten enough, take a small piece and carefully stretch it out.  If it will hold together and be thin enough to see light through it, it is done.  This is called the window pane test.

There is really no need to add the yeast (Instant Yeast is the best, in my opinion) to the water.  The way I make bread with today's products and techniques is to add the dry yeast to the bottom of the mixer bowl, than add about 2/3 of the flour, then the salt, and any other dry ingredients, then add the liquids and start mixing on slow speed.  Once incorporated, continue to add the flour until the desired consistency is reached.  Like a lot of baking, the exact amount of flour and liquids can vary, depending upon the weather.  An enriched dough, like this one, should be soft and sticky.  Turn it out onto a floured or greased surface and give a few kneads by hand to make it smooth, then let rise.  Everything else is the same.

They have about a million calories each.  ENJOY!

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 8:14pm
post #33 of 54

Thanks Sandra, sounds delicious. Thought I might try to do some for Christmas breakfast....maybe..:)))

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 9:14pm
post #34 of 54

Thank you Sandra for the recipes!!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 9:39pm
post #35 of 54

Sandra this almost identical to my cinnamon bun recipes. I have two that like you, have used for over 40 years. One recipe is my Mom’s, which is very old, wooden spoon in the bowl old, and one from a beloved food writer of a local newspaper. I took care of the food writers husband when I was a psw and she gave me a signed cookbook which contained not just the cinnamon bun recipe but many old favourites. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 9:56pm
post #36 of 54

oh I Love those kind of pecan rolls — swoon swoon — Panera used to sell them!!! mmm

Naty Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 12:39pm
post #37 of 54

K8memphis and all....

Here are the eggnog recipes I make, Cuban and Puertorican: 

Cuban:

https://www.mybigfatcubanfamily.com/2016/07/crema-de-vie-cuban-egg-nog-recipe/

Puertorican eggnog (Coquito) is coconut flavored:  

Mix all ingredients. Keep cold!

1 can evaporated milk

1 can condensed milk

1 can cream of coconut 

1 cam coconut milk 

Cinnamon powder

Vanilla 1 tbsp 

Rum to taste (I use Bacardi white rum or Meyer's or Parrot Bay coconut rum)

Pinch of Himalayan salt

Coconut flakes

Naty Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 12:42pm
post #38 of 54

Forgot to mention......you can use the eggnog for making french toast Chistmas morning. They are divine!!

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 3:21pm
post #39 of 54

Not much going on in our house for the holidays. It's just me and hubby and our 3/4 cat. My dreams of being Grandma (as in "let's go to Grandma's house for the holidays") apparently aren't going to happen - too much family drama we're better off not dwelling on.  I'll probably throw some steaks on the grill and have a special dessert but that will be it. Anything but pumpkin pie - it's my husband's favorite but I've managed to screw it up royally for four years straight and I'm a pretty good baker! Wonder what Freud would say about that.

Several years ago we started buying our own Christmas gifts since we didn't necessarily know what each other really wanted. It has worked out really well and no wrapping! So we'll have a quiet few days off work and enjoy the peace.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 3:52pm
post #40 of 54

Naty

The egg nog sounds devine. My family aren’t big on egg nog. So I usually just buy a very small litre for myself. Rum and egg nog...yummmmm

And cakefan92 I’m so sorry about your family situation. I have been alienated from my two sisters, and there children for a very long time. Long story. Wouldn’t matter anyway now as one lives in the USA permanently, the other lives in USA all winter. I’m in Canada.  Neither around for Christmas. Still makes me very sad at Christmas. I am very fortunate that my husband and I are very close to both of our children. And we see and help out with our grandchildren all the time. 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 3:55pm
post #41 of 54

christmas_tree thank you, naty 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 9:34pm
post #42 of 54

oh and i’m doing chocolate covered strawberries — they are so easy to make and eat and so fresh — mostly fruit — great portion control — and pretty too —

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 11:37pm
post #43 of 54

Since this conversation is mostly leaning towards food, then "Pan de Jamon" here... what in the world is that? A traditional Venezuelan bread for Christmas. Sweet bread dough, ham, bacon, raisins and spanish pimiento stuffed green olives...

I have not spend Christmas with my family in more than 12 years. In all that time I have not seen my only brother, my family in law. Naty and I have something in common, we are hispanics, we live in exile. I celebrate Thanksgiving to honor the "land of the Free, the Home of the Braves", those brothers and sisters, mothers, fathers and grandpas in this county that adopted us, and made us feel part of this family. God bless you all!

I'm attaching a picture!

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 1:20am
post #44 of 54

Aww, dear Regina, you brought tears to my eyes.  This country is blessed to have people like you!

Your Pan de Jamon has my tongue hanging out!  What a beautiful bread!  I've got to try that one.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 1:24am
post #45 of 54

I baked this today and it is a keeper, Pane Bianco, a white bread filled with mozzarella, asiago and shaved parmesan cheese, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, and fresh basil.  I think this one might be for Christmas.  This recipe is from the King Arthur Flour site.

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 1:45am
post #46 of 54

Beautiful Sandra, you can send me one of them for Christmas if you are taking orders. OOXX :)))

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 2:26am
post #47 of 54

I would love to, Betty!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 3:12am
post #48 of 54

christmas_treeoh my goodness this thread gets my eyes mistier and mistier as well as my mouth droolier and droolier  christmas_tree

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 4:17am
post #49 of 54

Oh Sandra, this looks wonderful! Normally you could build a house with my bread but I just might attempt this.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 2:18pm
post #50 of 54

cakefan92, thank you for you kind words!  Go to the King Arthur Flour site and look for Pane Bianco, for this recipe.  I love the site.  They have so many helpful hints on baking and their instructions are detailed and easy to understand.  This bread is not hard to make at all, go for it!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 9:14pm
post #51 of 54

Nothing for Thanksgiving this year as we are going on a trip.

Christmas I'm planning on making Macarons and molded chocolates as gifts. We are in the preliminary plans of moving, so a lot of stuff is getting packed up. Cakes will be minimal until we are moved. 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 2:18am
post #52 of 54

Well dear all, after reading and having so many comment on this post... I have a proposal... we should get many branches out of this tree... we can have a Baking Central, a Bread Central, a Pastry Central... and maybe even a Drama Central... Wouldn't that be nice? Have a blessed Sunday and expect a chilly week! Thanks K8memphis for opening this post, it has been, an awesome friendship therapy for all of us I'm sure.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 1:02pm
post #53 of 54

blush 

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 8:53pm
post #54 of 54

Agreed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%