Calling All Knowable Of Cake Science

Baking By kakeladi Updated 8 Nov 2019 , 1:00am by -K8memphis

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 3:01am
post #1 of 19

I have a  box of jiffy apple muffins mix  Can I turn it into a cake?   Maybe add another egg?   It’s the right size I need  don’t want to make batter if I can use this 

18 replies
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 19

Hey K8  I thought you would be all over this   Can’t anyone tell me?  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 19

first I saw it, lynne — hey right back atcha, wha-at, me??  you’re the reigning queen of cake extenders! princess halve the one cake mix extender recipe and make cupcakes with the leftover batter blush

ps  maybe add some cinnamon 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 19

and a teensy dash of lemon?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 19

I see no reason why not.  To me, a muffin is a cake by any other name.  Go for it!

kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 19

Well I made it adding an extra egg; 1/2 of an apple grated; apple juice for liquid (didn’t measure-just poured till I thought batter was thin enough) & about 1/3 cup sour cream .   Don’t know how it will taste until tomorrow night when we meet to play cards   

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 19

My Mom use to use muffin mix in a pinch all the time. I don’t think eating as kids we even ever noticed. Smelled and tasted just like cake!! I mean in many ways, muffins are just mini cakes. Your recipe sounds great Lynne, and I’m sure will taste great.

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 19

It does sound delicious!  I love being surrounded by experienced bakers who call pull off something like this at the drop of a hot!  Love this group!

jchuck Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 19

“It does sound delicious!  I love being surrounded by experienced bakers who call pull off something like this at the drop of a hot!  Love this group!“

Drop of a hot... Hee Hee... guess you’d drop if it was hot!!! Hat I’m sure was the word!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 19

I tried to change the typos, but another glitch I guess, it just said "oops, something went wrong" and would not let me change "call" to "can" or "hot" to "hat".  I know all of you can read gibberish anyway!  We all can, if we are experienced computer users, lol.

jchuck Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 19

You use to be able to edit what you wrote  even after posting. Haven’t been able to that for a very long while. I now routinely read over before I post. Try and catch any mistakes.

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 19

Okay, here's the thing....

I didn't even know there was such a thing as Jiffy Apple Muffin Mix!!!!!

I'm going to the store today and am going to Have to look for it!

Thanks Guys!

kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 19

I found it at a local 99 cent only store   Never would have looked in a grocery store—I usually don’t use things like that but that day it “called my name”  :)   

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks for that info kakeladi !  

I have one of those stores across the street (closer than the grocery store), so if I remember next time I go there...I will look for it.

I figure I can always use one when I'm in a pinch, late at night, and want some kind of baked goods!   :)

jchuck Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 19

My Mom & Dad use to spend the winter’s in Texas for 6 months. Coming back to Canada in the spring. My Mom would bring back boxes of Jiffy cornbread, and muffin mix. I’d forgotten all about that. She also brought back bags of pecans, free, from the tree near their trailer. Other goodies too.  I literally had bags of pecans in my freezer. Took me years to use them up. All gone now. I miss some of that cool stuff. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 10:06pm
post #16 of 19

an extra egg & some sour cream makes everything nice

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 10:21pm
post #17 of 19

I hope you’re icing/glazing it — I think it will need some sugar 

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 10:49pm
post #18 of 19

Wish I had a source for "cheap" pecan. Have you priced them lately??? I use a lot at Christmas.  and I love the toasted sugared pecans , used to give those as gifts at Christmas. Haven't seen the apple Muffin mix sounds good. Let us know how your "recipe" turns out. 

-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 1:00am
post #19 of 19

betty, the two pound bags at costco and walmart’s are the best deals I can ever find — I eat pecans every day — they are a little pricey —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%