Butter Cream

Baking By Dawnhopp1965 Updated 6 Nov 2019 , 1:09am by SandraSmiley

Dawnhopp1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawnhopp1965 Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a two tiered cake for Saturday need some advise I have cooked the sponges froze them if I take them out of freezer on Monday to defrost can I crumb coat them Tuesday leave in fridge till Wednesday then do second coat  butter cream fridge them then Thursday ice them ready for decorating Friday thanks 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 8

i would take them out wednesday — only takes a bit to thaw them — then ice also that day then proceed from there 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 8

Depending on how big the tiers are & how warm it is in your kitchen it could take as little as an hour for fzn cake to defrost so as Sandra said take them out Wednesday morning and crumb coat later in the day then put on the final/top coat icing following that   A crumb coat should dry on the first tier you do by the time you finish the others   No need to keep putting them in & out of the frig   

kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 8

Using your plan the cake would be stale:( You could even wait until Thursday morning to defrost them giving the customer a much fresher cake 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 8

My timeline is remove cakes from freezer Thursday morning/afternoon to defrost.  Fill, crumb coat and final coat Thursday afternoon/evening (basically whenever the cakes have defrosted).  Decorate Friday.  I'm not a fan of doing things any sooner (unless the decorating is super involved and then I move everything up by just one day) just because I like the cake to be as fresh as possible.

kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

Yes Freckles exactly what we are saying   You put it in just the right words:) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 8

and a newby is wise to start so they allow plenty plenty of time

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:09am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%