This Is Out Of My Wheelhouse...

Business By MerMadeBakedGoods Updated 29 Oct 2019 , 3:48pm by -K8memphis

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all - a customer wants a cake that serves 100-125... and I don’t think they want a stacked cake!

I don’t usually do sheet cakes...what the heck size can feed 100?!? A 14 x 22?!?! Or two cakes side by side?!?!

and then, it seems weird to charge the same price for a two layer sheet cake but I suppose it’s the same amount of ingredients..so then that means a cake that size would be over $350?!?!?!

again, I know pricing is relative...but I live outside Washington DC and most bakeries charge $5-8/slice. I charge $3.50 for buttercream and $4/fondant.

Thanks once again, cake crusaders :)

- Meredith

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 10

trivia time — my son used to work at the inn at little Washington —

time to raise prices!!!  make it a merry christmas christmas_tree for mermademunchkin 

kaching kaching charge them!

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 10

Oh wow!!! I used to babysit for fancy people that would drive out there in limos and have schmantzy business dinners!!! I heard it’s amazing!!! Going there has been on my bucket list for a decade :).

K8 - you’re HILARIOUS and I always look forward to your responses :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 10

Uggg.....  lost them  long reply that is now spinning around out there in cyberspace:(     A12x16x4 will be a good choice for this   Or you could present it in 24x16 style   Either way be sure the board is strong enough  2 layer/stacked sheet cake presents well   Sorry we can’t access our pix or Id show you a couple 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 10

we ate there once — went to visit him at Christmas time — they printed a menu with our names on it — every time we got up to use the restroom they folded our napkins & stuff — our food was served at the same time by four servers — the extra toilet paper in the john had gold seals on it —

one of the courses was popcorn! the server wore white gloves and shaved truffles on it — he put a lot too ‘cause jon worked there — it was aMAYzing —

i tried to take a picture of everything but jon didn’t want me looking like such a tourist — but I was! 

it was So Cool — he got to work on laura bush’s birthday party — patrick o’connell was really nice to him very supportive  but anyway it was quite an adventure —

The Inn is a wonderful success story — they flipped an old gas station in the middle of no where that the highway had by passed and the rest is culinary history

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 10

nd like I said it was christmas time and it was decorated everywhere — all of the little surrounding businesses depend on the inn to survive — it was magical —

get your prices up there so you can go clap

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 10

Ha!! I REALLY want to go now after that description...

Okay I called a local bakery and they said they charge $170 for a two-layer buttercream full sheet...

so I should probably consider that and hover around there somewhere?

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 10

you ain’t gonna get to the inn like that!!

did you get the dimensions of their “full sheet”? did you give them the number of servings when you asked?

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 10

Ack!! K8, this would be a lot easier if you just agreed to come and live with me at my house full time.

come on, We can go to the fancy pants Inn together!!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 10

i’m in! on my way — i’m bringing my dog

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%