Cake Plan- Am I Crazy??

Decorating By jenniferbw Updated 29 Oct 2019 , 4:08pm by -K8memphis

jenniferbw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferbw Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys, Im a strong home baking enthusiast that very rarely shies away from a baking challenge. in two weeks Im making a 4-layer 9" Boston Cream Pie for my sisters Anniversary. I want to generously feed 22 people with leftovers. My plan is to dam the cream filling with ganache, put a layer of ganache filling in the center with a cake board on top of that for ease of serving, and cover the entire cake with ganache. Ive made tons of ganache, but Ive never ganached a cake before. Am I crazy for attempting this on a cake that cant be frozen (on account of the pastry cream) or even flipped for that matter?? Ive scoured the Internet and this site for ideas on Boston Cream Pies for weddings, etc but there isnt much! Maybe theres a reason for this lol. Should I just make it a traditional naked style and drip the ganache on top? I just need to assemble the cake 2 days in advance and dont want it to dry out. I also want the lower slices to be just as yummy as the top slices. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated, thank you for reading! 

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 4

idk — while you can get about 30 servings out of a 9” cake in wedding servings — a bcp is cut in wagon wheel wedges — you won’t have any leftovers serving 22 — you will be serving narrow slices once —

i think you are saying you want to stack two 9” bcps and ganache them all solid so it looks like one 8” tall cake — so that’s what gives you all the servings, doing two?

i’m kind of a traditionalist — a bcp style cake like you describe would be cool but a bcp is a certain certain thing with pastry cream visible and oozing, choco drips over edges — all glistening fresh and luscious — your bottom tier will probably lose the shiny luster of the ganache — not to mention lose the choco when it is dismantled — but you could put a plastic or parchment on it so maybe it will peel off —

what about two real bcps side by side — ganache to me is hard, sets up crisp — bcp chocolate is  dark and creamy with extra butter in there and a dash of corn syrup for shine — don’t you think?

https://m.joyofbaking.com/cakes/BostonCreamPie.html

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 4

and bcps are fresh and nearly juicy (this is voraciously ramping up my cravings ha!) could you bake in advance and assemble day of?

this reminds me of my bonbon story —

had some utterly ridiculous bonbons made in front of my eyes by ewald notter— they were astronomical the first day — the second day they had lost that unbelievable flavor bang like nothing I had ever had before but were still perfectly incredible — the third day they were still better than any other i’d ever had but were a shadow of their former self —

in other words sure you can make a fabulous pastry cream filled yellow cake covered with ganache — but it ain’t really  a bcp —

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 4

all that to say I guess I didn’t know you can’t freeze pastry cream — you can’t? does it separate? obviously i’ve never done it —

I take it you are traveling with the cakes? could you make the pastry cream and choco glaze after you get there? on a hot plate or something? I have a couple induction burners I could loan you one —  bake the layers in advance —

and about that picture in the link I posted — I think the filling and glaze should be at least twice that thick blush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%