Baking Books

Baking By CandyO Updated 29 Oct 2019 , 12:59am by SandraSmiley

CandyO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyO Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I am looking for a cake baking book that has good recipes that also give varied quantities so I can make cakes of multiple sizes.

Can anyone recommend a good book?

Thanks

Candy

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 6

you might like a culinary school baking textbook — but I know of no others — and that will not be adequate —

the way I always did it — was to use this chart that gives the amount of batter needed by cup fulls for each two inch layer you want for tons of different sized/shaped cake pans —

by weight won’t work because batters do not weigh the same — unless you’ve already worked it out in advance —

most recipes and cake mixes yield about five to six cups of batter more or less — I have poured the batter into an eight cup Pyrex measuring cup so I can record the measure for each different type of batter as I go — but honestly I just guesstimate from experience —

then you can easily determine for yourself how many ingredients you need for each sized cake you want to make —

https://www.wilton.com/wedding-cake-guide/cms-wedding-cake-data.html

see the fourth column there that says cups of batter for one layer — just do some simple math and you got it!

lemme know if you have any questions — i’d recommend printing that chart and read all of it —

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 28 Oct 2019 , 3:43am
post #3 of 6

I haven't bought any new ones in a while, but The Wedding Cake Book by Dede Wilson has all of her cake recipes scaled for several different sizes. It might be one too consider. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2019 , 4:48am
post #4 of 6

As K8 mentioned it depends on each  recipe   Are you baking scratch or mix?   I had all the sizes from 6” to 16”  —round,sq, sheet & a few other shaped  pans figured out for mixes but only remember a few now  as I don’t bake any longer :(   If interested let me know & I’ll put my thinking cap on to see what I can remember 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2019 , 4:51am
post #5 of 6

BTW   You probably won’t be able to reply to any post so if you want to comment or post anything start a new post referring to this one to continue the discussion 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 12:59am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%