Fondant Newbie Has A Few Questions

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 26 Oct 2019 , 3:31pm by SandraSmiley

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 9

Good Morning,

I mostly do buttercream cakes, not talented in fondant.  I have to do a cake today that is fondant covered.  I am doing 2 cakes.  Under the fondant one will be white chocolate ganache and the other semi sweet chocolate ganache.  

1. Should the cake be cold or room temp before the cake is ganached?  What about before the fondant is put on?

2. I've read that once the cake is covered in the ganache, you should "moisten" the cake before applying the fondant.  What is the best way to do this?

3. Once the cake is completely done, should it be refrigerated overnight or should I leave it out so that it doesn't sweat?

Any other tips that you can think of will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!
Christina

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 9

I have never used ganache but have read much about using it so I might be wrong:(   Any ? will usually have more than one option/answer     You can cover w/it at room temp   Adding the fondant is done either cold or room temp   I don’t see how one can moisten the cake after ganache is on it   Ganache seals in the cakes moisture   When finished it can be frig’d especially if it is  filled   To minimize sweating box it then put it in a plastic bag or wrap it w/several layers of plastic wrap   When removed leave it wrapped for several hours until it comes to room temp 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 9

I primarily used buttercream under fondant but recently tried ganache.

1) No, your cake does not need to be cold before applying ganache.  You want it room temp because if the cake is cold then the ganache will harden quickly when applied giving you less time to get things super smooth.

2) Once the ganache has set there isn't much stickiness to it like there is with buttercream, so what I did was use a pastry brush and lightly brush the entire cake with water just to give a bit of moisture so that the fondant would stick.  If you have a clean spray bottle you can also you that to slightly mist the cake.

3) The only reason you would need to refrigerate the cake is if you have a perishable filling.  If you don't have that then you can certainly leave it sitting out at room temp.  I typically always refrigerate my buttercream under fondant cakes.  I find that cold cakes transport better and cold buttercream really helps to stabilize the cake.  But ganache, once set, gives you that stability without the need of refrigeration.  

Some things to keep in mind...
1) Covering a cake in fondant does not hide imperfections in your icing.  So if your icing isn't smooth then it will still show once covered in fondant.  So take your time and get that final coating smooth.
2) Definitely watch some videos on YouTube about covering a cake with fondant.  There are different ways to do it (covering the cake in one piece vs paneling).  There are also different techniques to achieving super sharp edges, which the ganache will already help to achieve, if that is the look you are wanting.
3) You can refrigerate fondant covered cakes if you want to.  Yes they will condensate a bit when moved from fridge to room temp, but if left to sit for a bit the condensation will evaporate.
4) Don't over think things.  When I first tried covering a cake in fondant I was so flipping nervous!  But, for me, the less I think about what I am doing the better it is.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 9

I hate fondant, so I've stopped using it except for decorative elements and just go for a ganache finish over a buttercream crumb coat.

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 9

I agree Sandra, I hate fondant too!  But this cake is supposed to look marbled, go I have to do fondant.

Can someone tell me if it's safe to put white (marbled) fondant over dark chocolate ganache???  Will the chocolate show through to fondant?  Or should i just roll it a little thicker?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 9

What is it you two hate about fondant?  The taste OR working with it?   Taste can be fixed :) 

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 1:09am
post #7 of 9

I think it is the slimy texture that I don't like, kakeladi.  I also hate gummy candies.

Chocolate is notorious for showing through fondant.  Why not do white ganache?

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 4:39am
post #8 of 9

After the cake is covered in ganache and has set firm, don’t moisten it with water before the fondant. It is better to rub it with a thin coat of Crisco. This way, if you have trouble with your fondant, it will lift off without making a mess. Water will just make it sticky and unusable. 

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 9

I've never covered my ganached cakes with fondant, but I do use shortening to cover a cake dummy with fondant and it works very well and only a very thin coat is needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%