Wilton Color Swirl, 3 Color Piping Bag Coupler. Bought It & Gave It A Try..........

Decorating By MBalaska Updated 21 Oct 2019 , 12:04pm by kakeladi

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TM6VW32/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are just so many toys out there and I keep trying them.  I'd probably have a million dollars in my purse if I'd never bought them all.  LOL ............…. So here's my opinion.  I put the white bits in the bags, snapped the bags together, then put the tip on & screwed the cap on.  Then I loaded them up with icing. In my photo;  I sat the icing bags on the side of the cuppies so you could see the original icing colors.   SMBC by the way.

The colors were just too close to each other in shade & not enough distinction between the soft pastel colors.  When it piped it looked like 2 colors rather than 3 colors.  So it really needs 3 strongly unrelated colors to pay off.  I put a lot of icing in there and it was hard to pipe, but got easier as It got down to about half the amount that I added.

I'll use this tip again sometime, with strong colors.  Red, white, & blue. Red, blue, yellow, something like that.  For me I think that it's easier to just use the plastic food wrap "bullets", or just paint the colors inside of a single piping bag.    Lots of swirling & plopping just to see how it handled.Wilton Color Swirl, 3 Color Piping Bag Coupler. Bought It & Gave It A Try..........

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 8

Certainly know what you mean about the colors being too close in shade   I thought the video K8 posted in a thread where Wilton shows how to color stripe was a poor example as the colors were sooo close it took me almost a full minute to see the stripe   If I was still decorating I would not even be tempted to buy that one  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 12:57am
post #3 of 8

Your piping looks beautiful and, while I understand what you mean, I sort of like the soft colors.  I am pretty sure I would not be able to handle the three bags with my arthritic (VERY) hands.

MBalaska Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 2:03am
post #4 of 8

Yes, I love the colors that I made,  and they look so pretty in the bowls after mixing.  They just look muted & muddled together in that way piped together.  Had to put an ice bag on my hands & thumb when I was done piping.  It was just too much for me to press, (and I do a lot of piping with the big 18" bags normally.)

This is definitely a tool for bold colors. It's for strong CONTRASTING colors.  An  American Buttercream style icing which holds deep dark colors would be better than Swiss meringue buttercream. As per usual, I just had to try it.  You can learn a lot from mistakes as well as successes. 

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 4:13am
post #5 of 8

The flowers remind me of hydrangeas with the soft mute colors. I might have to get it and try it with bright colors.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 11:14am
post #6 of 8

you can easily stripe a bag with extra colors of buttercream icing piped down one side of the bag but placed in there like spokes  in a wheel then fill the bag with a contrasting base color and you’ll get all the colors showing — 

MBalaska Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 8

@-K8memphis ….. striping the bag works beautifully.   I did that with the cactus & succulent flowers using uncolored SMBC on the green SMBC.  It really shows up with that much contrast.

@Marian64...… post a photo of your results with bright colors.  It should look great.

I realized that you only need to put in about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of icing in each bag, or you'll end up with a sprained thumb like I have today.  This new coupler requires lots of refilling of icing.  With strong bright colors it might be worth the effort. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2019 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 8

Bump 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%