How Does One Prevent Condensation On Buttercream Frosted (Not Fondant) Cakes?

Decorating By mslilafowler Updated 19 Oct 2019 , 5:42pm by SandraSmiley

mslilafowler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mslilafowler Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 9:58am
post #1 of 4

Good morning :-)

Is there a solution to buttercream cakes condensing after coming out of the freezer? The worst thing that happens is when I use darker colors, the condensation brings out some of the color and at times bleed into the cake and creates blotches of color. Not clearly noticeable but still imperfect in my eyes. I try to dab them down with kitchen towel, but that doesn't solve it completely.

I also could work around adding a final thin coating of buttercream to the cake just before it's completely defrosted - but that would mean keeping all of the same colors and marble effect tones of buttercream aside which would be pretty inconvenient because my cakes nearly always consist of unique colors (not standard whites/pinks/etc)

I often find myself needing to prepare a 4-5 tier cake with buttercream frosting. The problem is, I don't have the ability to crumbcoat & final-coat all of the tiers close to the time of the event, especially if the cake requires detailed decoration after they have been tiered.

Thank you for reading, I would love to hear any of your suggestions/tips! revolving_hearts

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 4

defrost cakes gradually — put in fridge first overnight — then keeping them boxed from fridge to counter also makes it a more gradual warm up —

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 4

Yes wrap &/or box the cakes   DONOT touch the cakes while they are defrosting—let it dry on its own — usually just an hour or so ( however it depends on the temp difference & size)   Like K8 said frig overnight so there is less of a temp difference    Maybe lighten up the colors just a shade or two ?  I don’t understand the thought of adding a thin coat of icing just before delivery   Certainly no need for that 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 4

The cake divas, -K8memphis and kakeladi, are absolutely dead right (naturally)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%