What Would You Charge?

Business By SweetTreatsByJulieLong Updated 17 Oct 2019 , 7:59pm by Freckles0829

SweetTreatsByJulieLong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsByJulieLong Posted 17 Oct 2019 , 12:19am
post #1 of 5

I’ve been asked to make a fireman cake for a baby shower (Proud father is a fireman). The picture they gave me is three 9” x 2” layers on bottom and top tier is three 8” x 2” layers. It is completely covered in fondant with fondant decorations applied on top of the fondant covered cake. There is a fondant sculpted dog, fire hydrant and firehose on top of the cake. I’m new to making cakes for my friends. I do t want to overcharge them but I do t want to lose money either. This is a hobby and I get a lot of people asking me to make sweet treats for them and I enjoy doing it but it does take a lot of my time and materials..any suggestions? Thanks!

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 17 Oct 2019 , 1:32am
post #2 of 5

I always get hung up when people say "overcharge" because I think it is impossible based on numerous things lol Do you have a picture that you could show us? Soooooooooooooo much goes in to pricing that if I say x, someone else will say y, and someone else will say z. There are a lot of factors that need to be considered. What I could get in my area, you may not be able to get in yours. A good first step would be to search the forums for pricing posts; there is a wealth of knowledge in the comments!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2019 , 2:42am
post #3 of 5

As has been saidsooo much  goes into pricing  — & we don’t have information such as where you live  how much supplies cost you -not just ingredients- as one needs to figure in gas for the car & gas for cooking (or electric)  just for starters   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Oct 2019 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 5

Because I am a hobby baker and too lazy to do a thorough cost analysis, I charge $4.00 to $6.00 per serving (based upon the Wilton serving chart), depending upon details.  If a cake has many sugar flowers or figures, charge extra for them.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 17 Oct 2019 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 5

I am pretty similar to Sandra.  I charge a base price of $4.50/serving and then add in extra charges for an abundant of figures or flowers.  For example the last cake I made had 2 gumpaste roses and 1 gumpaste peony. I charged $4.50/serving plus an additional $25 for the flowers. The way I figured out my price per serving was a combo of figuring out ingredient costs and comparing what local bakers charge. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%