What To Charge For Complicated Work Intense Cakes?

Business By glpatrick59 Updated 14 Oct 2019 , 6:50pm by inthekitchen2

glpatrick59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glpatrick59 Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

I’ve made 2 large (8 layers, 42” long) unicorn cakes and charged $5.50 per serving.  Based on the amount of work I put into them I feel as if I lost money on both cakes.  What should I be charging for theses unusually large complicated cakes?

What To Charge For Complicated Work Intense Cakes?What To Charge For Complicated Work Intense Cakes?What To Charge For Complicated Work Intense Cakes?What To Charge For Complicated Work Intense Cakes?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 6

I call any cake that looks like something other than a cake “a sculpture” and your unicorns are done beautifully— I would charge at least double that price for that particular sculpture — especially due to the size —

but the deal with sculptures is that you don’t have to be competitive — you are in a niche with a great skill set — go for it!

if you do one standing easily double the already doubled price nothing doubting!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 6

but for the larger size you could also tack on another fee for that, but just give the client the one total price of course — maybe take off a little for a normal size, or not blush

but you need to set a minimum because people will test you — a decade ago my 2-d one or two layer flat strawberry shaped cake would be a minimum of $75 no matter how small they wanted it— a 3-d sculpture of a full size designer purse started at $250 — maybe 25/30 servings

if they wanted the purse cake for 10 servings they still paid the $250 —

i did a standing terrapin cake around two feet tall like 30 servings was $800 maybe $1000 - can’t remember— but I gave them a “portfolio” discount because it was a last minute order and he said “do anything you want” so I did hahaha —

all that to say charge a lot and don’t look back — if they don’t want to pay they don’t have to —

best to you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 6

Wow that’s great work   As K8 said it takes skill to do such work that certainly not all decorators can so don’t be shy about charging a good amount 

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 6

Maybe I do it wrong but I never work out a price of a cake based on costs per serving. They are paying for your artist ability and the time it takes to make a cake like that. Don't under rate yourself as an artist, not everyone can make a cake like that. 

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 14 Oct 2019 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 6

Wow, those are gorgeous!!!!!! I'm not sure about pricing, but if you're feeling you didn't charge adequately, you didn't. Take in the time it took you to do it, plus how much you'd like to make per hour, plus any ingredient costs, plus extra just for your skill set. Honestly, if I called today and wanted that cake, what price in your head would come to mind to make it worth it your time?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%