Hard Edges On Cake (From Giant Cupcake Pan)

Decorating By satindoll_101 Updated 13 Oct 2019 , 4:42pm by -K8memphis

satindoll_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satindoll_101 Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 12:56am
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I could use your advice. I  am making a giant cupcake cake using the Wilton giant cupcake pan (for the first time). I accidentally overcooked the sides of my cupcake---the rest of the cupcake is fine. I can't cut it out as I need the shape of the cupcake.

What do you suggest to soften the edges? The cake has already been cooled and I wrapped it up and put it in the freezer already. I am about to take it out and start torting / icing etc. 

I was thinking of doing a simple syrup to help mask the hard edges. Or, I was thinking maybe no one will really notice with the icing / fondant on top??

This is for a family celebrations so it's not a huge deal, but obviously I want the cake to turn out yummy.

Any tips would be much appreciated. TIA!!!!

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 2:39am
post #2 of 7

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  When you frost it, that will help soften the outside edges, but you could certainly add simple syrup, if you are really concerned about it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 2:54am
post #3 of 7

If it’s not too late do spray those edges w/simple syrup   B’cream will help but if they are really hard they will need the extra moisture 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 10:54am
post #4 of 7

yes i would do the simple syrup — and if there’s ever a next time you can apply the simple syrup before you freeze it because the freeze/thaw helps level out the moisture content throughout —

satindoll_101 Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Because I am pressed for time as it's thanksgiving weekend here in Canada, and I have 2 year old twins running around me while trying to work--haha---I decided to just frost and hope for the best. I am hoping the buttercream will help. There will also be ice cream and tiramisu so that also should help moisten the cake  if served on 1 plate. 

I also read using PAM is not a good idea as it contributes to the "crispy edge" problem. Normally it's never been an issue for me as I trim off the edges in a cake but because I needed the cupcake shape I couldn't do that this time. I decided to try something difference from Wilton's Cake Release as it's a bit pricey but maybe PAM is not the answer. 

Will let everyone know how it goes!

satindoll_101 Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 7

Oh btw---Meant to ask.. Does freezing help soften edges  (irrespective of the simple syrup)?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 7

yes that’s what I was getting at — the moisture levels out —

so for example if this was a regular cake that got a bit over baked — i would trim off the edges before freezing so I didn’t lose any moisture from the inside to those crispy bits when it all levels out during the freeze/thaw — it just pulls the moisture from the inside of the cake —

but since you needed those edges for your design brushing on the simple syrup before freezing gives it more moisture to work with — 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%