Under Piping Gel

Decorating By cakefairy03 Updated 3 days ago by -K8memphis

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 8

Under Piping Gel

Under Piping GelI had a friend ask me to do the top of her cake like this. I was planning on using piping gel but heard it destroys fondant and basically washes away the colors. Any ideas on how to do the fish under the gel? 

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 8

I used lots of waferpaper years ago, and unless it has changed recently as I remember there is little problem like you mention.   I suggest you test a small bit - color it and cover w/piping gel to see for yourself.

cakefairy03 Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks! I do plan on practicing with wafer paper. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 week ago
post #4 of 8

I made a swimming pool out of fondant and filled it with piping gel and it had no effect on the fondant what so ever.  Last weekend, I did a coffee cup with piping gel on top of modeling chocolate and against the fondant sides of the cup, again, no change.  Worked perfectly with both applications.

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 1 week ago
post #5 of 8

I to have never had problems using piping gel on fondant but it does tend to "bleed" anything that is painted. I got past the problem by spraying it with a glaze first before adding the piping gel.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 days ago
post #6 of 8

bump

cakefairy03 Posted 3 days ago
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for replying! So I had an idea of going straight to the source! The picture is trademarked so I went to the website and sent am email to the cake shop. Of course, I would have understood if they didn't want to share their knowledge...but was pleasantly surprised when the owner wrote me back telling me exactly how she made her fish...white chocolate! I ended up using candy melts which worked well too!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 days ago
post #8 of 8

the photo is someone else’s property — the design is not — not usually — at one time when the topsy turvey cakes first came out poppy s — can’t remember her exact name — copyrighted the Name “whimsy cakes”  and she sold them mail order too — but we all made the cakes because the design is not proprietary — giving credit to the original design is always in good form — but often you don’t know who it is — someone brings in a picture and they want it —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%