Hot Fudge Icing, Clumping/curdling

Baking By meganmbruns Updated 5 Oct 2019 , 7:39pm by kakeladi

meganmbruns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmbruns Posted 4 Oct 2019 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 5

So my sister called me with a baking emergency. She was following a recipe from our favorite cookbook, Treasured Recipes from the Charleston Cake Lady and Mexican Chocolate Cake. The recipe calls for Hot Fudge Icing which has buttermilk (see recipe and instructions below). She was telling me that on following the instructions, when she brought it to a boil, the whole thing curdled. I am assuming that boiling buttermilk is not a good thing, but has this happened to anyone? Was it the boiling or something else? For second time around, I just told her to make it warm, but not to boil. She also added a tablespoon of corn syrup to make it shiny (according to the American Test Kitchen). It worked out great. Any advice, comments, and suggestions would be helpful!

Here is the recipe.

Hot Fudge Icing
1/2 cup sweet butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 box (1 pound) confectioners sugar
1/2 cups walnuts chopped 
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Stir in the cocoa til dissolved and the buttermilk, Bring to a boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat and gradually add the confectioners sugar, nuts and vanilla.  Stir well.

4 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 1:10am
post #2 of 5

Wlole milk is better than buttermilk

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 5

I have no idea what the answer to your question is but it sounds like you have figured it out   Have never heard of Hot Fudge icing—sounds good 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 5

@Kakeladi ……………  it's basically old school Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting.  great fudgy crusting icing by the way.

https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/perfectly-chocolate-chocolate-frosting.html

Ingredients

1/2 cup(1 stick) butter or margarine 2/3 cupHERSHEY'S Cocoa 3 cupspowdered sugar 1/3 cupmilk 1 teaspoonvanilla extract

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 5

Oh since I had such a good icing recipe I never made the Hershey's (at least I don't remember ever doing so)  LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%