Need Help With Technique

Decorating By MarciaJTrent Updated 4 Oct 2019 , 12:43am by SandraSmiley

MarciaJTrent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarciaJTrent Posted 3 Oct 2019 , 1:52am
post #1 of 6

Need Help With TechniqueCould anyone tell me what technique is used on this cake?  Two different brides have now requested this cake (photo is not mine) and I'd like to know what this style is called and how to do it.  I decorate as a hobby for family & friends. Thanks for your help!

5 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 3 Oct 2019 , 11:57am
post #2 of 6

I am not sure what it is called, kind of looks like a super loose ruffle look, but it looks to me that strips of thinly rolled fondant are wrapped and overlapped around the cake starting from the top until you reach the bottom.  It also seems that the strips are curved at the top so when cutting the strips cut the bottom straight but the top with a curve.  Once attached to the cake you can slightly bend/curve the top of the strip to give it more of a loose ruffle feel.

To me, this is more of a loose, organic decorating style so you don't want to overthink it.  For instance your curved fondant strips don't need to be perfectly curved and they all don't need to be the same size or length.  You could definitely practice this on a cake dummy until you get your technique down.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2019 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with freckles — mostly LOL   The stripes of fondant probably are very close to being the same size, the top of it not exactly straight but not curved  or just slightly   That comes from working it out/away from the cake a bit once applied   You probably will have to play around/practice before hand to get just the right look and as freckles said don’t overthink it   It’s very pretty—casual 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2019 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 6

i’d call it “the mummy cake” stuck_out_tongue

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2019 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 6

or “the Lazarus cake”

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Oct 2019 , 12:43am
post #6 of 6

I think they are called ruffles, but then so are a lot of other techniques.  Freckles0829's description of how it is done is spot on.  When I do this kind of ruffle, I prefer to use a half fondant, half gum paste mixture.  It is easier to roll thinly and stronger.  I also thin the top edge slightly with a ball tool before applying.  This is a little different, but the same technique.Need Help With Technique

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%