Often Used Recipe Failing After Being Fine For Years

Baking By leightorres Updated 2 Oct 2019 , 10:04pm by ThatCakeDude42

leightorres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leightorres Posted 29 Sep 2019 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hello All!

I have a sour cream vanilla cake recipe that I have been using for years.  It has always been a problematic recipe, and I have made slight adjustments over the years that have helped it come out better, but it tastes SO GOOD that I have been willing to work with it.

The recipe was handed to me by a family friend and is called "Old Fashioned Pound Cake", to be made in a ten inch mold.  I make it as a layer cake and it is usually dense (in a good way) and very moist.

Lately though, just the past few months, this recipe is driving me crazy.  The top half of the cake bakes up ok, but the bottom half is a dense rubbery mess.  I changed baking soda, baking powder, checked measurements, checked oven temperature.  Nothing helps.  All my other recipes turn out fine using the same ingredients (minus sour cream) but this recipe seems to just not work anymore.

Recipe:

1 C unsalted butter

2C sugar

3 large eggs, beaten

2 C unbleached flour

1 T baking powder

1 t baking soda

.5 t salt

2 C sour cream

1 T vanilla

Below you can find a really gross looking photo of my sink, and of a slice of the dense part of the cake.  It's like a hockey puck!  

IF anyone has any insight I would be so grateful!  Or if anyone has a sour cream cake recipe they love, I'll take that too.  I'm at wits end!

Thank you thank you!

Often Used Recipe Failing After Being Fine For Years

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2019 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 7

I can’t help w/your recipe but it sounds so very much like the *original* WASC recipe   Such a tried & true recipe won’t give the problems you are experiencing but WILL give you basically the same taste   Why not give it a try?   I bet you will be happy with it:)   

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 29 Sep 2019 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 7

This is the pound cake recipe I have used for years.  Hope it works for you if you try it.

1 cup soft butter

2 & 3/4 cups sugar

6 eggs

3 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teas salt

1/4 teas baking soda

1 cup sour cream

1 teas vanilla or favorite flavor

Sift dry ingredients together. Cream butter & sugar, add eggs (one at a time) beat. Add flour ( a little at a time) to egg mixture along with sour cream.

Mix well but don't over beat after adding flour. I usually make this in a 10" tube pan (325 for 1 hr 20min) but have baked it as a layer cake too. Just adjust the time.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 30 Sep 2019 , 2:26am
post #4 of 7

Hmmm...I could be totally wrong, but those ratios just sound off. 2 cups of sour cream, only 3 eggs and only 2 cups of flour would definitely wind up a bit wonky in my book.

the WASC CAKE is lovely and works without fail and I can say that BettyA’s recipe is very similar to my grandmother’s pound cake and it’s absolutely delicious. @BettyA - now I’m craving pound cake!!!   

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Sep 2019 , 3:30am
post #5 of 7

https://www.bakefromscratch.com/basic-1-2-3-4-cake/

basic ratios: 

1 cup butter

2 cups sugar

3 cups flour

4 eggs ………………….

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Sep 2019 , 3:31am
post #6 of 7

@BettyA   your cake sounds nice.

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 2 Oct 2019 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 7

Yeah, those ratios are off. There's not enough structure, way too much leavening, and too much sour cream.

I'd add an extra egg and 1/2 cup of flour for more structure.

There's enough leavening there for 7 cups of flour. It's blowing the sponge apart.  I'd do 1 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of baking soda.

I'd also reduce the sour cream to 1 cup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%