How To Price Different Size Bundt Pumpkin Cakes?

Business By HajraK Updated 27 Sep 2019 , 5:34pm by HajraK

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 3:06am
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone

A client wants pumpkin shaped cakes in different sizes. I was planning on making them out of bundt pans. I’ve never made them before but obviously o know I’ll be making two of each kind of pan and putting them together. 

She wants them preferably covered in buttercream but wants them to look like in the picture.

A regular standard bundt cake I can figure out the price for, but I’m kind of stumped as to the smaller sizes considering I’ve never made them before.

any tips?

thanks!How To Price Different Size Bundt Pumpkin Cakes?

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 3:41am
post #2 of 8

How many smaller ones do you get from the same amount of  batter you use for the bigger ones?  Then it should be just a simple matter of multiplication 

HajraK Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 3:46am
post #3 of 8

Thanks Kakeladi, that does make sense.

I think one thing I’m mulling over is whether to charge one pumpkin (a standard bundt cake size) as two cakes, as it would be the equivalent of the two times the amount of batter of a regular 2-layer 8” round cake. Would this be a fair way to price the cake? I would be torting each pumpkins “half” and then putting more icing between the two halfs. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 8

In my opinion YES    I was going to say that but didn’t know exactly how you were going to put it together   Don’t you charge by the serving?   Just don’t under price such special work   Remember one can’t get a  BMW for the same price as a Honda  :)  

HajraK Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 8

Yes I have my base prices for “regular” cakes but since this is a really unique style I’m just trying to factor in the “special” nature of the cake. It’s definitely not “standard” and want to make sure I charge accordingly, as you said

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 8

You need to upcharge the small ones. Not just serving numbers. Like making the mini cakes, a small pumpkin that serves 6 is not the 1/6 the work of a large pumpkin that serves 36. $4 a serving to make a large one may be fair, but $4 a serving to make a small may not. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 8

HajraK Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the advice everyone. My client decided to just go for  a regular tiered cake. The price of a pumpkin cake was too high. Thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%