What Do You Think

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 4 Oct 2019 , 2:45pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 54

y’know it surprises me that there are so many first time posters on here despite  the spam slam — what motivates someone to think they would get an answer through the scum — that spam mess usually sends them running — I think some of those seemingly legit posts are spam

I also wonder if Jackie would rather close the forum since the magazine and blog have shut down —

what do you think 

53 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 54

It does wonder me also  almost all the posts are from new posters    Few of The regulars have anything to say:(   This was such a wonderful place to help others out with their ?s   I don’t understand why no one ever hears from either Jackie or heath  anymore   I guess Sandra, Betty, you & me along with the few others just  can’t give up on what was once such a great site  

kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 54

As for fighting thru the garbage at least there’s the helpful box that shows the trending posts 

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 54

I haven't posted anything in a long time  (my kids are in Middle and High school now) but, I still come on here to look for pictures and see what everyone is doing.  I loved this site when I first started out decorating cakes and I still love the site.  I still love the site and seeing what problems people may have and how those problems are corrected.  I hope to be able to get back to decorating and baking again. Now if someone could help me get my finance',divorced,crush,whomever,whatever to love me again and cast some spells I'll be good. 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 54

I also think it's weird that we did not have any news from Jackie or Heath in a very long time, especialy since their is so much spam lately. It never occurs to me that all those new member post were spam too... I mean, why would they do that?  But now that you mention it... idk, you might be right...

I realy hope the CC forum stays open. It is like a cake encyclopedia to me. I do not post realy often because I dont think I have the knowledge to help or answer many of the questions, but I am here almost every day reading and lurking.

kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 54

It’s true this site has a wealth of information on it —in the old post & every now & then someone pulls up an *old* post usually not realizing how old it is showing there are some who need help with the same thing   

kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 54

It’s true this site has a wealth of information on it —in the old post & every now & then someone pulls up an *old* post usually not realizing how old it is showing there are some who need help with the same thing   

-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 54

laetia, what the spammers get from posting a seemingly legit post is that you click on it — for example the most recent example is “how to bake this Spider-Man cake” here https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/853141/how-to-bake-this-spiderman-cake

i would suggest that we avoid clicking on links esp for first time posters — we can answer but click at your own risk — 

the way to tell if it’s a first timer is to click on their screen name — you’ll see how many posts they’ve got — and surely they will build a better mouse trap too eventually — le sigh

-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 54

but heads up everybody!

kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 54

Yah K8  I had my doubts about that one:( The way it was worded........

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 54

I still don't understand what gain the spammers  get out of posting all their "stuff". I see now they are posting Pics too. Do they have a quota to meet. Usually money is the motivator. Yes I've seen the fake ? too. Looks like it's getting worse.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 54

yeah, lynne, and the little blue link

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 6:18pm
post #13 of 54

I agree that some new posters are spammers and others are legit.  If a post has like one sentence and that sentence is not put together very well (poor grammar/broken wording) or is a very broad question like "how do you bake this?" with a hyperlink inserted within the word "this" I 100% believe it is spam and won't touch that kind of post with a 10 foot pole.  I feel like if someone is legit they tend to have a pretty specific question that they ask.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 54

i agree, freckles, although the bad guys are refining their attempts too — 

going forward  i ain’t clicking on nothing —

betty, idk cc has been around a long time and for whatever reason I think some people wanted to hurt the site so they do — that’s what I think — in other words revenge against other posters/problems here 

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 10:03pm
post #15 of 54

Sometimes  I forget there are such petty people out there and that they get pleasure from hurting other people and causing trouble.

Laetia Posted 12 Sep 2019 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 54

Wow, I'll be more carefull. I have'nt thought about that. People can be so mean... Thanks ladies

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Sep 2019 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 54

I would really hate to see the site close because not only would I loose a wealth of knowledge and the joy of seeing the beautiful creations, but loose so many wonderful friends.

Thanks for pointing out the new member posts that are likely spam -Kmemphis.  I confess, I had my doubts.  Surely no one would ask such an opened question as "how do you make this" if they were legitimate.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 16 Sep 2019 , 9:19pm
post #18 of 54

Well, I've tried to reply and got kicked off twice.  Let's see if the third time is the charm...

I don't visit here very often any more because of the spam and the ads.  I've never seen spam like this on any other site and the fact that it stays on here for days tells me somebody's not taking care of the site the way they should be.  The ads are ridiculous - now there's the little video that pops up and stays on top of whatever you're looking at and the ads at the bottom of every forum topic go on forever.  I get that somebody needs to make money somewhere, but this is unrealistic.

I'm sorry, but it's just not worth fighting through all this garbage.  I do hope they keep the recipes and tutorials available somehow, but even plowing through those is a chore these days. And I can't find photos of cakes I know have been posted so there's that as well.

It's really sad since there are so many talented and knowledgeable folks on here who are willing to share their experiences and expertise, but it's gone downhill so fast and so far that it's just not what it used to be.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 1:27am
post #19 of 54

yeah it’s getting sketchier and sketchier around here but that spam-o-wham has been a thing on here for a looong time but yeah it’s getting old old old — slowly painfully circling the drain...

love you all! it’s been fun!!

Minileo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minileo Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 6:23am
post #20 of 54

Oh please don't shut this site. If I ever have any doubt CC comes 1st in my mind. I just love to follow forum just to read and understand what other members are going through and I may get something new to learn which I have never thought at the 1st place. I hate seeing page full of spams but what if if we don't click on them, they may stop posting rubbish. I don't know, I just want to be an optimist if that can save this beautiful site. OR, just take me along if we are switching to a new website just don't leave me behind :( 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 11:45am
post #21 of 54

have you ever watched someone in a relationship where they wished/thought they had a good thing with someone or that started off as good but now is not so good — that’s what’s going on here — we are just flicking away and maneuvering around the infestation, carrying on — while the infestation just keeps shrouding us all around —  but why — because we remember and hope for the good times that appear to be gone — 

please don’t anyone answer that dumb red velvet post 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 6:42pm
post #22 of 54

I was a moderator on another cake site. I left because, firstly, member participation became next to nil. Secondly, as a moderator, it was getting harder and harder to control the spam, and fraudulent members joining. And I actually ended up with a virus from the site on my iPad that I had to pay to have removed!!!!  That was basically the last straw. Also, another biggie for me, one of the main website managers was totally M-I-A!! They recruited me, and two others to be moderators.  All correspondence with the cake site manager went know where, as here on CC. Crickets. No help, no direction. I never actually knew who the owners of the cake website were, but they certainly were  longer invested in the anymore. Funnily, the website is still running. I took a risk one day and logged on. Just out of curiosity. Still limping along. But site is mostly just cake pics being posted. For whom to see, I don’t know???? I have never been removed as a moderator, so I could check traffic on the site. Was pathetic. Probably lucky if 5-10 members a day were on. Virtually zero to none in any forum discussion. Like I’ve said before. Unfortunately days of the cake sites are gone. Had there run. Everyone is on some decorating FB page. Or Instagram. 

kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 6:58pm
post #23 of 54

........... Unfortunately days of the cake sites are gone. Had there run. Everyone is on some decorating FB page. Or Instagram. ......

How very very sad.  There are people like me who just can't understand Instagram :(  Even getting around on FB is hard for me. 

.........Probably lucky if 5-10 members a day were on. Virtually zero to none in any forum discussion........

Sounds like here now :(  sad, Sad, SAD!! 

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 7:38pm
post #24 of 54

It has been a rough year for us and I have truly appreciated all the help the forum has given. I have learned so much from here. I'm still somewhat stuck in the cakes from years ago, was closed for 20 years, oh what changes there are. LOL. Thanks everyone  for being here.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 8:10pm
post #25 of 54

June, it sounds like you are talking about Cakes We Bake, which I still miss.  It was my very first exposure to the cake world on line.  I do still post pictures on my page, just so I have another source for storing them.  I think Betty and I are the only ones who still visit occasionally.  

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 8:17pm
post #26 of 54

Yes Sandra 

I’m guessing you and Betty are the only visitors. As for cake pic storage, I have Pinterest for that.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2019 , 9:58pm
post #27 of 54

I used to check that site, I think I joined there — cakes we bake — it was slow back then several years ago when I was shopping for more cakey  stuff —

i’ve been on let’s see about eight vibrant cake forums — ok when I started writing I was at six forums and as I think back I keep changing the number — i’m at nine now — yeah ten I remembered —  another one now, eleven...twelve thought of another one thirteen if you count the fb one w/sandra & june —

lynne — remember sweet dreams by  tracey? that was sucha lovely place! I love tracey, carol of auburn hills mi, YOU, etc — I don’t know if you remember Jennifer Chan? such sweet folks! (several posters across time I did not  appreciate and it was mutual) I remember a rs that was so mean to you, lynne! I hated that! even on the paid sites it was a much more of a wild wild west  anything goes type environment —anybody could and did bait and bite —

i had joined years earlier but one day i started on here on cc trying to tell this caker that she should stop trash talking a client — I think the client owned a venue — because one of my buddies on another board had gotten Fired from her very cool job for trash talking her employer!!! busted!

some of them boards had paid subscriptions — some were free — they were all well travelled — one forum evolved from one owner to another  three times at least —

I’ve actually driven the country,  teaching classes and taking cake, candy and pastry classes — Ohio, Indiana Wisconsin Arkansas, Nevada Tennessee of course — and met many cake forum members — plus I used to run a bookstore and several dear cake friends visited me there — one who was passing through, one visiting family here and then I hosted &demo’d a local cake class there as well — I earned points toward becoming a freal pastry chef — I got to attend the world pastry forum one year because of my affiliation with a foodie board — ahh the good old days!!!!!

Laetia Posted 18 Sep 2019 , 12:10am
post #28 of 54

So sad, I feel like crying. It feels like I've been around for only a few minutes and it's already closing time. No... CC I'm not done with you. I'll keep my head in the sand just a little bit longer, pretending this is not happening.

kakeladi Posted 18 Sep 2019 , 1:26am
post #29 of 54

The site I remember most was run by a gal in Bakersfield CA  — can’t remember the  name of her or the site  —yet I can tell you where she lived as I would drive by the house often!  I think it was the last site  I was on before CC   Don’t like this getting old stuff as it’s so hard to remember some things yet totally do remember other things:(   I keep the old posts -read them over often- to help me remember the most kind posters on here who were willing to help me out when I went through some major  personal problems   I never want to forget them & their kindness to someone they only knew on the internet  

-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2019 , 1:52am
post #30 of 54

I remember that one time you were transporting a mobile home or an unwieldy rv— through narrow mountain roads or something and I do remember that special time for you that you mentioned, lynne — 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%