Cake Drums/boards

Baking By webberblessings Updated 11 Sep 2019 , 12:46pm by SandraSmiley

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 12:27am
post #1 of 8

Do you ask customer if they want a fondant covered board? If so do you charge them more for it?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 8

no I don’t ask — as to an upcharge depends on the design but only the edge that shows has to be covered — if it was just a normal covered board no I wouldn’t charge extra — well a couple bucks for the fondant itself but just depends on the overall design — if it had to be striped or something intricate yes definitely — boil it all down it’s a judgement call

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 8

The time and the cost of materials is minimal when covering a board. I always think a cake looks far more professional and finished when the board is covered. I personally would never send a cake out with a naked board.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

I'm with Fabricake.  I only make cakes as a hobby, but I always cover the drums they sit on.  A simple decorated drum helps to really bring the entire look of the cake together.  Nothing brings the look of a cake down, in my opinion, then it sitting on a undecorated cake board or drum.  It is like putting on a fancy cocktail dress, doing your hair and makeup and then wearing a pair of dirty flip flops.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 8

Personally I have not done this but have read where people cover the board, then cut out the fondant where the cake will sit thereby 'saving money' by 'not wasting what will not be seen/eaten'.   Take the suggestion or not :) 

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 8

That's interesting. I like that concept.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 8

I follow a baker on YouTube that has a toilet seat method for her fondant covered boards.  Once the cake is in place she then cuts a rolled piece of fondant to look like a toilet seat and then adheres it to the board.  Her channel is Little Cherry Cake and she has a tutorial on how she does it, if  you are interested.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Sep 2019 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 8

l always do exactly as kakeladi suggested, cover the board, then cut out a circle in the middle, slightly smaller than the cake.  Easy and saves about half of he fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%