Freezing Decorated Cakes By Storing In Plastic Tubs

Baking By renadamc Updated 6 Sep 2019 , 3:42pm by SandraSmiley

renadamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renadamc Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Fellow Bakers!  I have a small 2 tier cake due mid October and I want to ice and stack it ahead and freeze, then thaw and put the finishing decorations on it the day before delivery.  I saw some previous posts about freezing decorated cakes and several folks recommend placing the cake in a box and wrapping the box itself in plastic wrap and foil to cut down on condensation.  But I thought that a (clean) plastic tub flipped upside down might protect the cake, keep some moisture out, and be easy to open. Has anyone tried that?  Can you think of any pitfalls?  Thanks so much!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 5

As long as that tub is sealed it should be fine   I get the impression you intend to just turn it over onto the cake board—that is not good enough especially for long term storing   If you are talking about something like Tubberwear then yes it will be fine  

renadamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renadamc Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I was thinking of placing it on the cakeboard and icing and stacking, then placing the whole thing on the inside lid of a big tupperware tub and putting the tub part on top, so the tupperware is upside down, but the cake is right side up in the freezer. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 5

yes those are great for delivery too -- you can fill other thinner tubs with ice if necessary to help create a climate controlled environment -- 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Sep 2019 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 5

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%