Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By Nazzles Updated 4 Sep 2019 , 1:07pm by kakeladi

Nazzles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazzles Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 5:48am
post #1 of 10

Please help. Have I made an error in my calculations? My Swiss meringue buttercream is not tasting as smooth as usual and it kind of tastes greasy to me. But it could be all in my head because I am stressed out. 

Here’s the recipe that I used:

• 1dz eggs (15 oz)
  • 31oz granulated sugar
  • 7 cups (3.5lbs) butter
  • 2tsp vanilla

Does the recipe sound right? Or did I mess up my calculations when I increased my batch and mixed different recipes together? Should I make a separate batch of meringue and mix it in?

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 8:46am
post #2 of 10

that is not near enough vanilla— other than that i’m still in bed with hopes to get some sleep eventually here — but when I get up i’ll check it out —

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 8:54am
post #3 of 10

yeah — I use Swiss Meringue Buttercream

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 9:07am
post #4 of 10

sleeping it ain’t happening blush

I couldn’t wait — there are lots of different ratios for swiss meringue — but when i’m at about two pounds of sugar aka 4 cups i’m using 3-6 more egg whites and 4-5 tablespoons of vanilla —

but again there are many many different ratios — this is mine a la margaret braun

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 9:09am
post #5 of 10

and I mean maybe you are using extra large egg whites — I use large — the only red flag is the vanilla 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 9:15am
post #6 of 10

also:

there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you need/want to —

best to you

blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 10

I know nothing about Swiss b’cream but just going over the recipe you posted I totally agree w/K8   Get some  flavoring in there   Just *2 teaspoons* is nowhere near enough 

kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 10

And K8 I’m with you on the not sleeping bit:(   

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 10

lynnie, freal!

kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 10

Bump