Gum Paste Or Fondant...

Sugar Work By BettyA Updated 27 Aug 2019 , 2:23pm by kakeladi

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 12:26am
post #1 of 8

Ok ladies I need advice, since I don't work much with either of these, what would be best for standup numbers.? I have both. I have to make a 21, cake due Thursday. Help!!!!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 2:46am
post #2 of 8

For stand-up items probably use gumpaste   I did 99% of such things w/fondant but then it needs to be thicker & left to dry longer   K8 & others say to add lots of cornstarch I never knew that 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 2:55am
post #3 of 8

I usually use gum paste, but have used fondant when I didn't have it, or have a way to make it. Fondant does take more drying time. If I had both; I'd go with gumpaste. 

BettyA Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 3:03am
post #4 of 8

Thank you kakeladi and ypierce82. I'll give it a try.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 3:46am
post #5 of 8

Sorry I'm late, Betty.  I always defer to you ladies when it comes to cakes and decorating, but I have done a bunch of work with modeling and sculpting and I would 100% use gum paste.  If the numbers will be very big, I would use pastillage, even stronger and harder than gum paste.

BettyA Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 4:58am
post #6 of 8

Thank you for the info Sandra. :)

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 8

I usually use fondant with tylose added because that is just what I always have on hand.  As others noted it does take longer to dry so I try to make those items at the beginning of the week the cake is due.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 8

Most of the time I had a can of Wilton’s dry gumpaste mix on hand & I’d dip the fondant in & knead it in until the fondant became tight  —  that’s what I called gumpaste before I learned to make it:)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%