Homemade Cake Mix

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 26 Aug 2019 , 10:15am by ThatCakeDude42

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 25 Aug 2019 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 8

I know we've all been over this topic for years now, but I just can't seem to give it up. I've seen recipes for homemade cake mix but have been very reluctant to try it. I've been heartbroken ever since all the cake mixes changed their formulas, I'm in my 60's and remember well all those great recipes that started with a cake mix. the wasc recipes don't work anymore. Big holes, bad texture, you open the bag and it doesn't even smell good anymore! Does anyone have a homemade cake mix recipe that really works, or know of a company that sells really good cake mix now? I do a lot of scratch cakes, but sometimes would love to have the option of a mix. HELP, I can't get over what they did to us! 

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2019 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 8

............the wasc recipes don't work anymore. Big holes, bad texture...........

I beg to differ with you.   I haven't noticed any big change in the new mixes......they work the same for me.     But that aside.....I'm not sure if it's still available on this site (in the recipe sections) but I posted a homemade mix recipe.  Try searching for it.   I think I might even have a link to it  in the *original* WASC thred -- it would be near the end of the comments

MamaGeese Posted 25 Aug 2019 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks I'll look for it. Kakeladi, do you add enough mix from a 2nd box to equal the 18.25 oz of the old box size, or add flour or do you just use the 15.25 oz box and keep the add ins the same? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2019 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 8

can you get jiffy cake mix? those are still good and I still like duncan hines -- but truly I don't bake much anymore -- or perhaps you could try one of the voodoo love spells smile jk jk jk jk -- just being silly blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2019 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 8

As K8 said, I don't bake much anymore either but the few recent ones I hacv made I just used the smaller sized box w/o change - keeping the add ins exactly as posted.   If you are having big/bad holes you might be mixing it at too high a speed.  I no longer have a KA and the hand mixer I use has the *fastest* slow speed I have ever come across :(   I mix only a minute w/it then by whisk another minute to finishe it :(    I like the idea of using a Jiffy mix - even if you can only get white it won't 'wash out' the flavor of any other mix flavor used & you can always add in more flavoring or say a banana, strawberry  etc to boost up the flavor

MamaGeese Posted 25 Aug 2019 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 8

Yea I have used the jiffy mixes and I have access to both yellow and white . It just seemed to lack any flavor, may try again. I agree, usually hand mixers low speed is way too high. I did find a kitchen aid hand mixer that has a true low speed. I did have a cottage business and do an occasional fancy cake from scratch, but being retired I would just love to throw something quick together for hubby and myself. Thanks y'all. 

MamaGeese Posted 25 Aug 2019 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 8

Has anyone tried King Arthur mixes? 

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 26 Aug 2019 , 10:15am
post #8 of 8

I've made WASC cakes with the smaller 15.25oz Duncan Hines cake mixes following the recipe exactly as it is written. They bake up beautifully, and look perfect.  I just can't find anyone that likes the flavor compared to scratch cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%