Help.... What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By LKBNatty Updated 22 Aug 2019 , 5:47pm by SandraSmiley

LKBNatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKBNatty Posted 22 Aug 2019 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 3

Can anyone help, 

The last few fondant cakes have really bulged.  Each cake was wrapped in clingfilm and weighted down. Then filled and weighted again for a few hours. 

Then coated in buttercream once set I covered in the right amount of fondant and left to dry before stacking. 

I set the cake up at the venue and all was well, but looking at the wedding cake cutting pictures it's bulged. The room was humid and it was raining but apart from that I don't know what else to do to stop this from happening. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks xxHelp.... What Am I Doing Wrong?Help.... What Am I Doing Wrong?

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2019 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 3

I was taught that the b'cream crumbcoat had to be fresh, wet so the fondant had something to stick to -- eliminating the posibility of buldging.   Weather like that is not our friend.  It can and does cause many problems.  I'm rather sure it was a combination of the poor weather and not anchoring the fondant well enough

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Aug 2019 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 3

I didn't know the tip from kakeladi about applying the fondant before the buttercream set - thanks!  I agree the weather was probably mostly at fault.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%