Cake Delivery

Business By jdalexander02 Updated 19 Aug 2019 , 8:25pm by -K8memphis

jdalexander02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdalexander02 Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hi

I’m not an established Baker right now. So I’m not doing huge multi tiered cakes, yet. I received an order for a three layer cake, top and bottom layers are strawberry cake with a center cheesecake layer. What I am struggling with is whether I should or should not charge a delivery fee. I’ve talked with a few people that do not bake and was told that until I am established, I shouldn’t charge a delivery fee. Which I guess I understand that perspective. How would you handle this? Would you charge a delivery fee regardless? Because it’s just a three layer cake, there will be no setup.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 4

To me when you turn that key to start the engine you should be paid as if you’re a taxi   You’re providing a service   The other option is for the customer to pichup   Always felt customers could handle act cake that was not tiered — any tiered cake was for me to deliver 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 4

Since I am just a hobby baker I do not charge a delivery fee.  But if you are wanting to create a business from cakes and you are taking and filling orders then you should treat every order like you would once you are an "established" baker.  Not even sure what that means.  In my opinion if you are building your business and taking orders then you are an established baker.  Point.  Blank.  Period.  I am sure the definition of established is different for everyone but making huge multi-tiered cakes doesn't make one established.  I mean a three tiered cake is pretty major in my book.

With all that said, yes, I would charge a delivery fee.  If you are using your personal vehicle then you are using gas that you paid for to get that cake to the destination that the client has chosen.  That time and money shouldn't just be given away for free.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 4

what other fresh food gets delivered for free? h yes charge for that blush

and keep it cold and tell them to keep it cold — deliver it sealed in a nice bakery box — 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%