Wedding Cake Payment

Business By CakesbyBrittany Updated 19 Aug 2019 , 8:40pm by ThatCakeDude42

CakesbyBrittany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBrittany Posted 18 Aug 2019 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 12

I have a couple who's wedding is on September 7th. Per the agreement they signed the balance is due 1 month before the wedding. I have received that payment but they post dated the check for the day after the wedding. I trying to figure out how to deal with this. Should I just let it go or contact them and let them know I need the payment not a post dated check?

Thanks

11 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 18 Aug 2019 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 12

First of all, banks are no longer required to honor the date on a post-dated check due to the volume of checks they process daily. However, I would contact your bride and let her know that according to your agreement, payment is required 1 month before the wedding.  This is not a payment (and I suspect was not intended to be). You need to let her know that unless this situation is remedied immediately, the agreement is now null and void, no deposits will be returned and whether or not you actually make the cake depends on how quickly they care of the final payment. And now you need to insist on cash - nothing else.

This is a calculated move on the bride's part so she can stop payment on the check for ANY reason the day after the wedding if she chooses to do so. There could be a legitimate reason for it, but I seriously doubt it.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Aug 2019 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 12

Ditto what cakefan92 said.  What a snotty thing to do!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2019 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 12

I also agree w/what has been already said!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 18 Aug 2019 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 12

And in Texas, you cannot even collect on a post-dated check that you accepted. You, by accepting a post-dated check have agreed to a "loan", so under the law, you cannot pursue standard collection on bad checks. Here, the DA goes after them for you----yeah Texas!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 18 Aug 2019 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 12

Ditto...Ditto...Ditto the posts above. Totally calculated on the brides part. A post dated cheque is NOT a payment. Cash, bank transfer, or certified cheque dated now, is payment. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2019 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 12

oh that was so not cool — yeah take cash only — i’d be a little concerned about doing their cake now — I mean who knows how it will go — either they were gonna stiff you at the last minute,  actually right after the last minute or they are out of money and feel they will receive cash at the wedding that would covet the cake — either way is iffy — consider cutting your losses — I don’t know if you should just saying weigh all your options —

do please keep me/us apprised of the story 

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2019 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 12

also there’s this:

there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread to keep us all in the loop — thanks

best to you

blush

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 3:55am
post #9 of 12

Sounds to me like they voided their contract, and I would, as kindly as I could, let her know that. Cash only and I would stipulate a time and date. If payment is not received on that say, at that time, there is no cake to be made. That move was VERY sneaky, and very calculated. I wonder how many others they have done the same thing to. That would also open up a "something was wrong with the cake" "I didn't like" type of situation. Please keep us updated on how you decided to handle this.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 3:57am
post #10 of 12

*day

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 12

Bump! 

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 12

It's also possible that it's simply a bad check, and she doesn't want you to find out until after the wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%