Charge For Hand Painted Cake

Business By Carla9900 Updated 17 Aug 2019 , 3:00am by -K8memphis

Carla9900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carla9900 Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 2:11am
post #1 of 23

I have a client that found this cake, and she wants something similar. I did not do this. http://www.neviepiecakes.com/midsummer-nights-dream/ 

She wants a cost on this. It's all hand painted. Top tier and 4th tier are dummy cakes. All the rest are white. 50 servings only. 

Thoughts? Charge For Hand Painted Cake

22 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 3:10am
post #2 of 23

What is your price per serving?   Charge as if all tiers are real cake   It can be more work to do dummies than real cake then I would add about $50 more for the hand work   It’s very time consuming to paint by hand  Sandra can tell you more about that   

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 3:12am
post #3 of 23

It’s a beautiful cake  hope you can do it well  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 3:25am
post #4 of 23

It is a beautiful cake.  As kakeladi said, start with your base price and add on for the painting.  You know your own ability and can probably estimate how long it would take you.  Personally, I am very slow and it would take me at least a full day, maybe two for the painting alone.  It really depends upon how much you want to make the cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 10:19am
post #5 of 23

to me these are shorter tiers like 3” tall, each missing a quarter of a serving by traditional standards — so  just off the top of my head to get the same look i would do an 11x6x9x6xwith the boldened tiers in foam — and the others in cake to get enough servings — because they’ll need to be cut bigger to get enough portion size — so gotta have an experienced server who can accommodate —  but that shorter height is important to the look —

that six inch dummy I might set closer to the front if need be so it shows up in the painting without too much shadow — i would play around with the shape in advance with an army of dummy cakes — so I could nail it — there would be a definite front and back to the cake — I might even use an oval dummy cake in there for the 6” tier separation — with the length of the oval set front to back —

mine of my pet peeves is to set a cake on a plateau or pedestal that is too small but in this case it works for me and I don’t know why — well it makes the cake so airborne — where it’s just suspended in time there all floral flights of fantasy with the 3-d butterflies — gorgeous — 

those might all be dummies in the picture — for moi there’s extra care involved to handle real cake all borderless and suspended like that just wrapped in fondant — can only be touched from the underneath— pia — but you can still use a fat dowel in the middle sticking up as a ‘handle’ — because you’re just gonna cover it with a cake when it’s removed for stacking —

i’d charge $8 to $10 a serving

-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 11:54am
post #6 of 23

*one of my pet peeves

-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 11:59am
post #7 of 23

no, I think i'd do 11x6x9x7x4 but i'd still set it up in advance in all dummies to check it first

-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 23

oh gosh but the 4" would be foam too blush

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 15 Aug 2019 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 23

You would have to stack the cake with one side all even in order to paint it, wouldn't you --then separate the tiers?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 23

i'm curious about the third tier -- it has a definite very straight white line around the bottom edge that could be caused by the camera angle --- but it also looks too even to be hand painted -- the brush always stops there -- and the paint never pools there -- could have been a piece of tape there though -- but why would you tape the bottom? stencils?

cakefan -- I would not stack them to paint it myself --

Carla9900 Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 23

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I think I'm going to give it a try and quote her.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 23

I agree, Kate, the whole think could be done with edible images.  That being said, it would be just as beautiful painted.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 23

yeah, sandra,  could be -- it's still tremendous and smart  work to be an edible image -- "work smarter not harder" -- and in that case I would guess that it is muy petite too

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 23

Come to think of it, it does look quite small, -K8memphis.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 5:17pm
post #15 of 23

Going the edible image route would certainly make the cake more affordable, that is if the artist is as slow as I, haha.

Carla9900 Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 23

I've never done edible images - is this something I would create first and then adhere to the cake?

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 23

Carla9900, it is a printed image, on wafer paper or sugar sheets, that you adhere to the cake.  Since you do not have an edible printer, if you are interested, check with your local Walmart or grocery store, which sells cakes.  There is a good possibility they have an edible printer and would make your image for you.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 6:26pm
post #18 of 23

Carla -- 

or you could go online to icing images dot com

https://www.icingimages.com/edible-cake-picture

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2019 , 6:27pm
post #19 of 23

Sandra 

yours would be prettier

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 12:49am
post #20 of 23

Thanks, -K8memphis!  Now, who's got too much faith, lol!

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 2:31am
post #21 of 23

insert rolling my eyes smilie face here 

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 2:45am
post #22 of 23

Haha, big hugs, sweet friend!

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 3:00am
post #23 of 23

right back atchoo heart